Thread: San Franscisco Reparations

San Franscisco Reparations

Without comment:

SAN FRANCISCO (AP) — Payments of $5 million to every eligible Black adult, the elimination of personal debt and tax burdens, guaranteed annual incomes of at least $97,000 for 250 years and homes in San Francisco for just $1 a family.

These are just some of the recommendations made by a city-appointed reparations committee tasked with a thorny question: What would it take to atone for the centuries of U.S. slavery and generations of systemic racism that continue to keep Black Americans on the bottom rungs of health, education and economic prosperity, and overrepresented in prisons and homeless populations?
    SOURCE

Nope, can't help myself!

The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

All they need is someone willing and able to pay...Who'll step up?......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

These idiots are going to cause a race war by building up hopes for a payout they have no possibility of financing.
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    These idiots are going to cause a race war by building up hopes for a payout they have no possibility of financing.
    Somebody sees that as a highway to their own power and wealth...Just another scheme......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

I wonder what those who propose that will say when there is no perceived positive change
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Damn I didn't know I was Black and lived in the Bay back in the day. Memories are haze but I think therefore I must have been repressed.
    Fred

"Everyday I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've
    stayed alive."

'Take care of yourself, and each other.'

This is definitely a noteworthy issue we're seeing in CA. Personally, I don't like it at all.

Yeah, Blacks were oppressed (and much worse) in America. We can't change that. We also know of other races, groups, and individuals who were oppressed. And, that's not even counting wars and border struggles. Heck, what about the Japanese Americans rounded up and sent to prison camps in Utah?

This isn't a Democratic or Republican issue - yet it's definitely political. Other than acknowledging our Forefathers were sometimes wrong, I seriously don't see what more we can do.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

Quote Originally Posted by UTAH View Post
    .... Other than acknowledging our Forefathers were sometimes wrong, I seriously don't see what more we can do.
    Hunter
    There is not a damn thing we can do other than that. And, I'm not so sure an apology is even in order. Times were different, and mores were different. What we see as wrong today often was the norm in prior years. Show me a society in the past that never held slaves. Are all societies today responsible for what their forefathers might have done in days of yore? I don't think so.

Recognition of past deeds is important to those that suffered them. Refusing to even acknowledge that a historical wrong was done just means no one moves on.

Doesn't need to be money. But look at what is happening in Florida. Schoolbooks are expunging discussions of race relations because it makes white people uncomfortable. Sweeping things under the rug just builds more resentments.

The topic is worthwhile. And some of the proposed solutions will be kooky. Yet it begins a conversation long overdue in a society that rests on "liberty and justice for all".