Thread: People You Do Business With Are Collecting Your Biometric Data

People You Do Business With Are Collecting Your Biometric Data

Retailers and others are gathering your biometric information for a multitude of uses. I would imagine selling your information is one of the uses.

I'm not sure how I feel about this and what I might do to prevent it should I decide not to allow them my information. Do I really care? If so, why do I care? Reflective sunglasses, gloves and masks should work, but not on voice recognition.......

As shoppers get groceries at the Fairway supermarket on Broadway and West 74th Street, there are signs around pointing out navel oranges and blueberries are on sale. There is also a sign alerting the very same shoppers that the supermarket is collecting, retaining, storing and sharing information that identifies them, like eye scans and voiceprints.

Most who were in the Upper West Side store on Wednesday were not aware the sign was even there, and were blissfully unaware of what the store had been doing.

Fairway's parent company, Wakefern, said that biometric identifier information (BII) is "helping our store reduce retail crime. Only trained asset protection associates use the system, which helps us focus attention on repeat shoplifters."
    Lots More Here
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

Maybe they can combine it with a reading of my blood pressure and heart rate at checkout if they really want to provide a service...Otherwise it's a wasted resource on me......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

Not to brag---but I don't think my Mennonite and Amish merchants are doing this

I do know that anything I do on the internet is a different story---they know if I pass gas----damn shame they miss the odiferous component

That said---I have pretty much dismissed all of this as having any real importance to me personally. When they started canvassing NYC with cameras there was an outcry---but today it is just accepted.
    More than accepted I think it is valued. It seems at night the police collect the videos of the evenings crimes and the next morning all the local new stations run the videos---then on the evening news they tell you who they caught.

You would think the crooks would figure it out---hoody's aren't the perfect cover
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Yeah, I can tell I'm tracked by the ads I get. And, financial companies apparently know my age too. But, as Dave pointed out, it's stuff that's not important to me.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

I went to a big hunting/trapping/outdoor sports show last week. Senior citizens got a two dollar discount on the ticket. They don't even bother asking if I qualify anymore, they just look at me and reach the inevitable conclusion that I do. So to anyone who meets me, it is obvious that I'm kinda old. I don't have any problem with things about me that are evident.

But I do have a problem with being followed as I buzz around on the Internet. I kind of view my computer as my phone - it is for my own use and enjoyment, not to be used without my consent for trying to sell me stuff. I pay for it, so I want to control how I interact with it and I don't like it being used as a portal into my life by some merchant I don't want to have show up on my screen.

so here in the bay area this is the set up on most of the major intersections into and out of town and at the outlet malls paking lots. Mounted on the traffic light arms are license plate readers which are tied into a statewide database of stolen, wanted, and be on the look out for plate numbers. The readers are set up so that when they get a hit they trigger the intersection cameras in the vehicles direction of travel the video of which and its wanted status pop up on a police dispatchers console and they initiate a locate and attempted stop by patrol officers. We catch a lot of out of town gang banger thieves that way.
    "The only thing that we learn from torture is the depths of our own moral depravity"