Thread: Amazing Plane Landing on Helipad!

Amazing Plane Landing on Helipad!

Red Bull stunt pilot lands plane on 700ft-high Burj Al Arab 78' wide helipad!

Lots of videos on youtube on this, including the planning and how they did it.

The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

His balls must be about the size of that helipad!......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

Dat ain't nuttin boys

An Alaskan bush pilot would regard that as major airport

This is a modified Piper Cub with balloon tires for landing on gravel bars and the tundra.

Their "normal" short landing approach is a bit novel. Imagine a "runway" running east to west. If they are landing into an east wind they will pass the landing spot going west, then when past the spot they will make a sharp "U" turn as they drop the inside wing tip toward the ground---now in the reversed direction they land into the wind.

The reason for the "hairpin" approach is that they can shed altitude without adding speed since they loose lift in the sharp turn and the plane simply drops while on it's side.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Dave's post made me wonder what the record for the shortest STOL might be.

9'5"
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Dave's post made me wonder what the record for the shortest STOL might be.

9'5"
    That may be the observed record but , I can tell you I have landed much shorter than that . Many times I have landed and had to keep power on just to avoid going backwards. Get the gear on the ground and apply power to stay on the runway AFTER landing across rather than along the runway . Check Salina or Topeka Ks. with a 40 -50 kt wind. C !72 full flaps. You STOP forward motion without applying power .
    Individual rights are protected only as long as they don't conflict with the desires of the state .

If you look at the video I linked to it seems to be close to zero (but unofficial)----it demonstrates part of their often used technique where they pull up right at the end and drop down while in a stall.

Dick's comments make me recall a landing in Grand Rapids MI going into a head wind---the plane would not land---it is a good thing that is a long runway
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

650 practice landing attempts is a level of commitment I doubt I could match.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead