Thread: Insane winds

Insane winds

not too much rain but the winds were insane. Santa Cruz Mountains had gust of 97 mph, San Francisco international had 74 mph. Mines road here in livermore recorded a 94 mph gust. Power is out all over the bay area. Trees into powerlines, downed trees into homes, blocking roads, big rigs got flipped over.
    My neighbor had his solar panel ripped off of his roof
    "The only thing that we learn from torture is the depths of our own moral depravity"

Wow! I'm pretty used to high winds and the destruction they bring. They are nothing to laugh about. Hope you get through this without damage.
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

Ma Nature can be fierce when she's upset...Batten down......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

It looks as though our winds laid down over night.

We have a serious high wind threat here brought on by the Ash trees being killed by the Emerald Ash Borer. It is killing virtually all our Ash. When they die they quickly become brittle and first the branches break and then eventually the entire tree comes down. The event has put all the above ground utilities at risk.

It has also created a unsolved debate over who should pay to take them down---specifically those in the road ROW. To make it more of an issue, the wood has limited salvage value.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

16 miles west of the White House, Northern Virginia..
    One of the weather systems that dumped the snow on New England has brought us winter cold and howling winds.. today is trash/recycling day.. we have new neighbors in the next block.. they had their recycling on the curb at noon yesterday.. bin was (was) stuffed with water bottles and plastic bags (recycling truck doesn’t take plastic bags).. this morning’s amusement has been watching a metric ton of plastic bags flying down the street like little parasails.. when I brought the last morning trash out to add to the can, I added half dozen loose water bottles to our bin (under the heavy bag of paper)..

No end in site for this whacky weather.. lows into the 20s for the next 10 daze .. have two oil changes waiting for decent weather..

And the cherry blossoms are due next week… in freezing weather

Don't miss any of those things anymore. The monsoons will be enough weather changes I need.
    Fred

"Everyday I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've
    stayed alive."

'Take care of yourself, and each other.'

Utah is having their own problems---rain

At least one has died and many more needed to be rescued from some of the slot canyons that pepper the Moab area in southern Utah.
    Last edited by Dave Grubb; 03-16-2023 at 08:53 AM.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Yep, that's exactly what I was going to address in this thread, Dave.

We had the wind last night too. It was strong (and dangerous), resulting in the Weather Service issuing warnings to the public.

Dave, my wife said last night, "Why would someone ride a motorcycle up a slot canyon?" Like me, she has a Motorcycle License.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

I'm not sure about all but the guy who died was on a 3 day hike with friends.