Thread: New for me

New for me

PA issued highway restrictions last night due to high winds and snow forecast starting today.

Included in those restrictions was a reference to "ATD" which I found to be an acronym for "Alternative Traction Device"----which failed to solve anything for me

So---the next search did yield an answer----they are "tire socks"!

I have no idea how durable they are but at first glance they appear interesting----and far easier to put on! I do question their use on ice

One of the great winter events that everyone should have is "chaining up" a big rig during a driving snow storm

There is another advantage offered----weight. A set of truck chains can weigh 120 lbs/axel for single tire chains. Depending on how many tires and axels you chain up you can shave off a lot of pay load----and you carry them if they are on the tires or hanging on the frame in the ready.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

I watched a couple of their videos and those things don't look like they would get any more traction than a street tire. I guess it's something I would have to see to understand. Fortunately, we don't need 'em in my part of Texas!

BTW, what is this "snow" in your forecast?

Yesterday:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Spring.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	286.4 KB 
ID:	39496

Most of my garden is in the ground, what's not is because of wet ground conditions making plowing a bad idea.
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

What is the green in your photo?
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

It is a metamorphosis your snow will undergo after a few weeks of warm sunshine.
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

Not soon enough for me

One of our Aspens popped open this week. But, it typically snows again before it's fully opened. If we're lucky, it won't snow when all the leaves are out, cause that results in broken branches as many deciduous trees cant support both leaves and snow at the same time.

Tire socks? Hadn't heard of them till now. Personally, I've found the BFG AT to have just enough sipes and flow-through tread arrangement to tackle snow/ice. Mud tires are the worst at it.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead