Thread: cold war history. When China shot down 5 U2s

cold war history. When China shot down 5 U2s

"The only thing that we learn from torture is the depths of our own moral depravity"

That was a new one on me too...Dave may have some further insight here from his experience......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

I know nothing Comrade

That said, the only thing I find questionable in this story is the photo of the U-2 landing---it appears to be a variant with a 2 man crew.

As it relates to the lack of substance of the alleged disappearances---that is the standard game plan----deny, deny, deny.

When I was involved in such games we did not exist. If we got shot down, even our families would not be notified. The planes were as vanilla as possible, the entire crew wore civilian cloths and carried no IDs. What we did carry was an optional "escape option"---a fast acting capsule.

Those conditions did not exist in the case of North Vietnam---in that case we were simply expendable but there was no need to deny. China, North Korea, and Eastern Russia were another matter.

...and yes I am way past the 25 year rule---and have been effectively replaced by countless satellites.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Grubb View Post
    I know nothing Comrade ...and yes I am way past the 25 year rule---
    Aren't we all......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

Quote Originally Posted by Truckman View Post
    Aren't we all......Ben
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

"Those losses haven’t been as widely reported as might be expected – and for good reason. The Central Intelligence Agency (CIA), which was responsible for all of America’s U-2s at the time the planes were shot down, has never officially explained what they were doing there."
    - CNN

Simple amazing.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

16 miles west of the White House, Northern Virginia..
    One super secret communications network that I worked on is now on the internet.. locations, frequencies.. everything but the customers phone number..

The subject came up once recently and the other party thought that it must have been so exciting and special to work with the customers that we worked with.. It wasn’t, just a job.. just couldn’t talk about it..

Quote Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
    One super secret communications network that I worked on is now on the internet.. locations, frequencies.. everything but the customers phone number..

The subject came up once recently and the other party thought that it must have been so exciting and special to work with the customers that we worked with.. It wasn’t, just a job.. just couldn’t talk about it..
    Exciting days for me were only judged as such when we made it back