Thread: TikTok Ban

TikTok Ban

The latest round of "Let's ban TikTok" going on in Washington and elsewhere got me to thinking about what's going on with that company. Here is a link to an ABC News article about the issue. Skip the initial video, it is just a quick glimpse of various news items. The real article starts after the video.

I began watching TikTok videos for the first time a few months ago and quickly became addicted. For the most part, I see it as a truncated version of YouTube and find it to be very entertaining. Does it carry security risks because it is a Chinese owned company? Probably so if you are doing sensitive work. For someone like me, on privately owned equipment and not doing any kind of sensitive work, I think the risk is probably no greater than pretty much anything else I do on the internet.

I would like to see some resolution to the problem without an out-right ban in the U.S. I doubt it would be effective anyway because there are so many paths and trails and tunnels on the internet that you can get pretty much anywhere you want to go despite any rules that might be thrown in your way. I do agree that TikTok, along with anything else not work related, should be banned on government owned devices. Even that is just about impossible to enforce.

What's your view on the possible ban on TikTok?
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

Other than the few links to it I have found here, I've never been to their website so I really don't have an opinion...If the Chinese are making any money from it I see that as a good reason to avoid it...That reminds me, how are any of these websites making money in the first place?...I realize some of them have advertising, but I never see it because I use ad blockers...And there are some news sources that won't let me on their sites because of the ad blockers, but I just find other sources anyway...

I see no reason why any government owned computer should be on entertainment channels like that since they are supposedly for work only...Ban 'em!...

I watch some channels on YouTube (no ads there either) because they run old movies and TV shows that I like...I can pause them just like a VCR then come back to them when I want to......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

YouTube? I'm addicted to it.

It's possible potential banishment of Tik Tok (on gov computers) could generate interest in it. And, if you've got a personal cell phone, that is not used for gov business, and then view Tik Tok on breaks/lunch - what's the loss?

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

I have never gone there-----but I became alarmed when I found out one of my granddaughters was "twerking" there. I went to YouTube to find out what "twerking" was----and then I had a talk to the young lady---and her parents.

BTW---her younger sister spilled the beans to Poppy
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

I am recognizing that I've become a prude.

I have a hard time accepting that a woman would twerk in front of other people or a camera. And, it's just as sad that I know what twerking is. It seems to be everywhere. It was a new low when Miley Cyrus do it on the VMAs.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead