The latest round of "Let's ban TikTok" going on in Washington and elsewhere got me to thinking about what's going on with that company. Here is a link to an ABC News article about the issue. Skip the initial video, it is just a quick glimpse of various news items. The real article starts after the video.

I began watching TikTok videos for the first time a few months ago and quickly became addicted. For the most part, I see it as a truncated version of YouTube and find it to be very entertaining. Does it carry security risks because it is a Chinese owned company? Probably so if you are doing sensitive work. For someone like me, on privately owned equipment and not doing any kind of sensitive work, I think the risk is probably no greater than pretty much anything else I do on the internet.

I would like to see some resolution to the problem without an out-right ban in the U.S. I doubt it would be effective anyway because there are so many paths and trails and tunnels on the internet that you can get pretty much anywhere you want to go despite any rules that might be thrown in your way. I do agree that TikTok, along with anything else not work related, should be banned on government owned devices. Even that is just about impossible to enforce.

What's your view on the possible ban on TikTok?