Thread: Knife Sharpener

Knife Sharpener

I have tried all sorts of stuff to sharpen my knifes some never work, others work for a bit then die.

I saw this, it looked good, price was ok. My main issue was getting a consistent angle on the edge and getting it really sharp, like slice paper on edge sharp.

This arrived tonight. It took me about 30 minutes to get it correctly set up nd a few more to understand how to work it. In just 5-7 minutes per knife they were sharp enough to slice paper. I have some doubts about the durability of the finer grit wet stones so I ordered a spare set. but so far this is the best thing I have found

https://wasabi-knives.com/products/w...nife-sharpener
    "The only thing that we learn from torture is the depths of our own moral depravity"

I have a similar one that I use for hunting knives. I always regarded the use of it as a part of being at hunting camp---I could work away while telling lies with everyone else

It was an unending jobs since everyone else brought their knife to me to be sharpened---even though most had not been used since being sharpened last year

For kitchen knives---I have given in to the "knife eaters", as my son the chef calls it.

Between uses of that I use a steel---to "renew" the edge without removing material.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Way too much work for me Eric. I use one of THESE and finish it with a steel. The knife will shave or slice paper just fine. An added bonus is that I have an entire case of them that I got free!
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

I have a couple of them as well (are you getting the idea that I have a obsession for sharp knives?) but use them more for emergency sharpening or "recovery" missions. They hog off a lot of material and after a few uses they begin to create a wavy pattern on the blade. They are effective in getting out nicks rather quickly.

I would not use them on my better/best blades.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Something I learned after tossing a couple of them after they got dull is that you can reverse the cutters and they are like new again.
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

I didn't know that--thank you.

BTW, Eric, one of the things that gives me some reserve with the device you have is on long blades---i.e. butcher knives. Hunting knives (for all but the most amateurish) have blades with a length of 6" plus or minus and they present no problem. Kitchen knives can have blades twice that long---especially carving knives or large chef's knives. In the case of those long knives the angle that device puts on the edge changes. The greater the distance from the center the less the angle of the stone to the blade. While that doesn't preclude sharpening the edge it will effect the durability of the edge. Finding the best angle is a dance between shaving the hair off your arm and retaining a working edge for a reasonable amount of time.

Dave, I use almost no pressure on the sharpener. I think pressure is what causes the waves and, of course, it removes a lot of steel. I just make a very few light passes frequently before the knife gets dull to keep it sharp.

I will have to try that----surely I tend to bear down on that little devil

I should add that my chef son uses a wet stone placed on a cutting board. He uses no guide for the angle. As simple as it gets and very effective.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Way too much work for me Eric. I use one of THESE and finish it with a steel. The knife will shave or slice paper just fine. An added bonus is that I have an entire case of them that I got free!
    same one i have been using for 20+ years. i'm on my 3rd one. nice units!
    it's time to change the air in my head