Thread: Bail Reform

Bail Reform

NY has a law that puts certain offenders back on the street with a guaranteed bail. For these offenses, you cannot be denied bail.

Great idea, except for the fact that crime rates have gone up.

Case in point - a man arrested locally for hit and run on a pedestrian. He was awaiting a court date for another hit and run a few months ago. Another winner was arrested for attempted burglary - at a business right across the street from the village police station. The day after he was released under guaranteed bail, he was arrested again. For breaking into the SAME place right across the street from the police station. Not easily discouraged, I'll admit.

Bail reform is not working well in my state.

They are consistent...Consistently stupid......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

Be very afraid, Kevin!

They tried that in Harris County Texas for the past few years since Democrat judges swept the elections. It is working marvelously with an incredible number of murders, rapists and other violent offenders being released on extremely low bonds such as $1 and $100 dollars and even personal recognizance bonds. For murder!

Predictably, they are returning to their life of crime as soon as they get out just a few hours after being arrested.

It is so bad that the state legislature is working on a bill to put a stop to this crap.

Can you imagine giving a personal recognizance bond for these crimes? Harris County judges can!

MUST READ TO BELIEVE
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

Suspects out on bond have killed more than 150 people in Harris County

In Harris County, no fewer than 113 defendants charged with capital murder have been inexplicably granted bond and released back onto our streets pending trial.

We are talking about "capital murder" - the most egregious offense in the criminal code - a conviction for which carries either life imprisonment or the death penalty.

In all, more than 50,000 accused felons have benefited from the "catch and release" philosophy of "criminal justice" perpetrated by the current crop of democratic "reform" judges.

According to Crime Stoppers Houston - 155 people have lost their lives at the hands of accused criminals - cut-loose from custody - only to kill while on bond.
    SOURCE
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

Thankfully, NY has outlawed everything except harsh language to defend yourself from a threat, so these low lifes don't have to worry coming up against anyone that might defend themselves. We've all been issued "I surrender" cards to present to anyone robbing us, courtesy NY State Dept of Mean Looks.

Parole Officers need to stay on top of things. To do so requires low enough case numbers for them to be effective.

Wifey and I were Parole Officers together in the Field (Div of Field Operations). She became an Agent first - and I took a demotion from Capt. to Lt. to join her. At that time we graduated from the Peace Officer Academy. The only way to meet our workload was to work 12 hours a day, six days a week. Our families did not know that we'd visit them on Sunday and then hunt fugitives on the way home. After a year, both of us made Capt. and ran Fugitive Units. We saw how other states created Intensive Supervision Parole units and we did the same.

I relate the above to illustrate how one can be an effective Parole Officer. Parolees need to be given the opportunity to adapt to civilian life. It's a way of sorting out the successes and the failures. We can't keep people locked up whenever they act out. It's expensive and gives us the dubious distinction of incarcerating people in record numbers. By using Risk & Needs Assessments and closely monitoring behavior, it can work.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

A rope works well for career criminals...If they've demonstrated their only career choice is crime, then they are of zero further use to a productive society...The recidivism rate from the gallows is said to be less than five percent......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

It is fascinating to see where some of these ex-offenders land when integrated back into society. Oddly, I was the only Agent in Utah who successfully compacted a murderer to another state.

The Utah Board of Pardons and Parole reviewed the case of a man who was on Death Row and, surprisingly, paroled him into our community. He was a mess so I visited his home every day for his first six months on parole. He wanted to go to Oregon to be with his extended family so I arranged a transfer through Utah's and Oregon's BOPP systems (reconnecting an offender with their family is highly effective). It was a big enough deal that both state's Governors had to approve the deal. Frankly, I thought my efforts would fail. And, I subsequently followed Law Enforcement actions in Oregon because I felt responsible for the safety of Oregonians. Fortunately, he did not re-offend - dying peacefully 20 years ago.

Wifey and I both have friends and family who have retired from Law Enforcement. Many of them left resenting the system because they focused on system (and personal) failures. My Wife and I focus on our successes. We believe our work efforts helped offenders and their families. Perhaps we will be judged on whether or not our lives were productive/useful someday. We are willing to accept that.

Hunter
    Last edited by UTAH; 03-05-2023 at 01:31 AM.
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

But mercy is above this sceptred sway;
    It is enthronèd in the hearts of kings,
    It is an attribute to God himself;
    And earthly power doth then show likest God's
    When mercy seasons justice. Therefore, Jew,
    Though justice be thy plea, consider this,
    That, in the course of justice, none of us
    Should see salvation: we do pray for mercy;
    And that same prayer doth teach us all to render
    The deeds of mercy.

I'm not quite sure what management of parolees (already convicted and served time in prison) has to do with pre-trial bail bond (people awaiting trial for crimes they are accused of committing).

What I got was the big difference between true mercy - for someone who has been through the system and has had a chance to reflect on their misdeeds - and fake mercy, for those that are at a much different point in their journey through the system. It is only after they have paid their debt that you can tell how redeemable someone is.

In other words, bail reform puts the cart before the horse.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
    ......bail reform puts the cart before the horse.

Yes, it does.

Hunter