Thread: A Ukrainian foot soldier becomes an "Ace"

A Ukrainian foot soldier becomes an "Ace"

"A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

I gotta get me one of those Javelin thingies......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

Quote Originally Posted by Truckman View Post
    I gotta get me one of those Javelin thingies......Ben
    Get one for me while you're at it
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Extracted from a much longer article in this morning's NYT:

Private Hrebenok is the tank commander. "Wonderer" is the name given by the Ukrainian crew to their tank.

“We hid the tank in a tree line and waited for them,” Private Hrebenok said. “It’s always scary but we need to destroy them.”

In this instance, they stopped about three miles short of the ambush site, just out of range of return fire, and shot in coordination with a drone pilot who called in coordinates on a radio for targets they could not see directly.

The Russian column stalled on mines and, Private Hrebenok said, The Wanderer opened fire. The Russian tank crews had little chance once they were in the kill zone, he said.

“We destroyed a lot of Russian equipment,” he said. “What they did wrong was come to Ukraine.”
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	116.0 KB 
ID:	39468

Pretty amazing how modern technology has made killing the enemy so much easier than it was 50 years ago. Hell, no place is safe anymore - there is a weapon that can kill you no matter where you hide. I'm not sure if this is a good thing, or a bad thing.

The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    I'm not sure if this is a good thing, or a bad thing.

It took whatever sport was remaining out of it, that's for sure......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

“What they did wrong was come to Ukraine.”
    - Private Hrebenok

It's guys like him Freedom was meant for.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead