Thread: Murdoch Acknowledges Fox News Hosts Endorsed Election Fraud Falsehoods

Murdoch Acknowledges Fox News Hosts Endorsed Election Fraud Falsehoods

From tonight's NYT: (extract)

Rupert Murdoch, chairman of the conservative media empire that owns Fox News, acknowledged in a deposition that several hosts for his networks promoted the false narrative that the 2020 election was stolen from former President Donald J. Trump, and that he could have stopped them but didn’t, court documents released on Monday showed.

“They endorsed,” Mr. Murdoch said under oath in response to direct questions about the Fox hosts Sean Hannity, Jeanine Pirro, Lou Dobbs and Maria Bartiromo, according to a legal filing by Dominion Voting Systems. “I would have liked us to be stronger in denouncing it in hindsight,” he added, while also disclosing that he was always dubious of Mr. Trump’s claims of widespread voter fraud.

Asked whether he doubted Mr. Trump, Mr. Murdoch responded: “Yes. I mean, we thought everything was on the up-and-up.” At the same time, he rejected the accusation that Fox News as a whole had endorsed the stolen election narrative. “Not Fox,” he said. “No. Not Fox.”

Mr. Murdoch’s remarks, which he made last month as part of Dominion’s $1.6 billion defamation lawsuit against Fox, added to the evidence that Dominion has accumulated as it tries to prove its central allegation: The people running the country’s most popular news network knew Mr. Trump’s claims of voter fraud in the 2020 election were false but broadcast them anyway in a reckless pursuit of ratings and profit.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Murdoch was blowing smoke out his butt to save his empire by throwing his quislings under the bus
    "The only thing that we learn from torture is the depths of our own moral depravity"

I don't agree that he was blowing smoke---he was speaking the truth---FNC was (and is) motivated by ratings and not truth. Pander to your audience to protect your income
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

There should be a disclaimer at the beginning of these segments---not only on FNC but all of these newtainment outlets. If people were to approach them as fictional entertainment I would have no objection---the problem arises when people think they have somehow ventured off into the realm of reality.

Today’s filing shows that executives at the highest levels of the Fox Corporation and the Fox News Network knowingly permitted Fox News Channel personalities to spread false conspiracy theories about the election in order to protect their profits. It includes testimony from Rupert Murdoch, the chair of the Fox Corporation, showing that Murdoch and his son Lachlan Murdoch, the executive chair and chief executive officer of the Fox Corporation, as well as Suzanne Scott, the chief executive officer of Fox News Media, were all deeply involved in the question of how to deal with Trump’s lies and with the personalities who were echoing those lies, without losing viewership.

Rupert Murdoch spoke with Scott frequently, and testified: “I’m a journalist at heart. I like to be involved in these things.” Lachlan Murdoch, as well, was in the loop with his father and Scott. Ultimately, although they knew that claims of massive election fraud were unfounded, they decided to give the lies airtime anyway to stop their audience from abandoning them for other channels. Fox board member and former House speaker Paul D. Ryan (R-WI) warned them “that Fox News should not be spreading conspiracy theories,” but they ignored him.

Murdoch also revealed FNC’s role as a wing of the Republican Party when he testified that he “provided Trump's son-in-law and senior advisor, Jared Kushner, with Fox confidential information about Biden's ads, along with debate strategy… (providing Kushner a preview of Biden's ads before they were public).”

Political writer Rick Wilson summed it up: “They knew Trump lost. They knew there was not then (nor is there now) a scintilla of fraud. They knew, and lied. Over, and over, and over. They chose guests they knew were lying. They allowed story meetings promoting a massive, dangerous lie that reduced faith and belief in the American system. The entire top level of Fox management knew their lies were leading to danger for this nation…. They knew the lies were lies. They fed and fed the beast.”

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Grubb View Post
    There should be a disclaimer at the beginning of these segments---not only on FNC but all of these newtainment outlets. If people were to approach them as fictional entertainment I would have no objection---the problem arises when people think they have somehow ventured off into the realm of reality.
    It probably wouldn't matter, people are stupid. Just look at all the dumb "reality" shows and how many people who just can't wait for the next episode thinking they are real.
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

16 miles west of the White House, Northern Virginia..
    Ron Burgundy, Anchorman 2.. ten year old movie.. pretty stupid really but also clever.. they parody Fox, start a news show (overnight segment) that only reports, as news, what the viewers would like to see.. they are discovered because the normally low rated overnight segment leads the network in ratings..

Believe half of what you see and nothing that you hear…. EA Poe…

Mike makes a point that illustrates how there does seem to be an element of our population that is bottoming out. Our people revere those like the Kardashians, who cherish what things look like rather than for what they really are. The only satisfaction I get is in knowing the shops Kardashians opened up in Las Vegas failed for being expensive without delivering useful products. Yet, they'll get richer and remain just as popular. It is what it is.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

CNN is not much different. CNN knows what its audience wants and serves it up to them. At most, it is a question of degree that separates it from Fox News.

We are only haggling over price, as the old joke goes.

MSNBC is worse than both of them.
    OPINION....a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

16 miles west of the White House, Northern Virginia..
    And they all sell..

I use the foreign press to “fact check “…. AlJezera and France24 are this weeks.. Russia Today used to be good.. I have found that the large foreign press does not lie.. but can have their own spin, be very careful of their spin.. we are looking for facts that US news omitted.. don’t let the spin fool you..

We receive a “National “ news show from Sinclair “The National Desk”.. it is basically good factual news.. but they do slip their right wing spin in, like opening a story as “Bidens failed EPA event in Ohio”.. I’m sure they are successful at getting more subtle spin past me..

Oh well..

From the original post:

not only on FNC but all of these newtainment outlets.