Thread: What in the hell is this?...

What in the hell is this?...

I deal in American cash, not stupid shell games like this...I don't even know what a bitcoin looks like...Anybody who gets suckered into a trap like this deserves his punishment...
    After a former town employee of Cohasset, Massachusetts, was accused of stealing thousands of dollars in electricity from a local middle/high school to operate a secret cryptocurrency mine in a seemingly overlooked crawlspace, police grew concerned when the suspect missed a court date and couldn’t be located.
    A cryptocurrency mine?...What does this stuff even look like?...I'll stay with the precious metals business - beer cans and blued steel......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

"A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Grubb View Post
    Horse hockey!...John Bridges was right......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

16 miles west of the White House, Northern Virginia..
    As I age, I have decided that there are certain new technologies that I should be able to skip learning and still “get by”.. Cryptocurrencies is one..

What I have learned.. cryptocurrency is not based on a traditional treasury or backed by traditional wealth.. there are algorithms or keys out in cyberspace that allow the acquisition of more cryptocurrencies. This acquisition requires “mining “ of cyberspace to discover these codes, algorithms and keys and “mining “ requires a great deal of computing power..

Standby.. hold that thought.. oops, sorry.. my brain is fogging up, even freezing over.. well, that’s as far as I can go.. now you know what I know..

I still carry cash.. I’m old..

Quote Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
    I still carry cash.. I’m old..
    Cash is still king at the gun shows...I have credit cards for everything else that pay me when I use them......Ben

16 miles west of the White House, Northern Virginia..
    When we road-trip in the camper.. a big ole pocket full of cash is carried.. over the years I come home with more and more cash.. like you, the cash back credit cards are used for almost everything.. restaurant tips and morning coffee at “7-11” mostly.. (we experienced our first Buc-ees.. as my dad would say, if ya don’t need it, they have two of ‘em.. a cross between Wawa and WallyWorld) .. use more $5 & $10 bills now..

Back n the ancient daze I missed a fire sale priced .380 because I didn’t have the cash in pocket.. snivel snivel, oops.. gave up sniffing for lent

Quote Originally Posted by Truckman View Post
    Cash is still king at the gun shows...I have credit cards for everything else that pay me when I use them......Ben

Back in the days that I was wondering around gun shows I would go to the bank on Friday and most weeks get the same teller---who knew when she saw me to get the forms out.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

crypto is a money laundering theft scam. Hell North Korea funds their economy almost entirely on stealing crypto currency. It (crypto) preys on greed and the promise of easy money without any security in place at all
    "The only thing that we learn from torture is the depths of our own moral depravity"

Can I use crypto to buy green eggs and ham ?. How about a new stove ? . Possibly a new fly rod ? .

If not , what is it good for ?.
    Individual rights are protected only as long as they don't conflict with the desires of the state .

Quote Originally Posted by Independent Voter View Post
    ...what is it good for?
    Not for me is what it is. I'm with the crew that deals in cash and credit cards.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

Meh. There is no intrinsic value to cash. We just all agree on using it as if it were worth something. It isn't. It is just a slip of paper, traded around.

Crypto is the same. Just something to trade with no intrinsic value. Milton Friedman once suggested pork belly futures as a basis for trade. At least there is meat involved. Credit is just a promise of future payment in another non-valuable currency. And lots of times, it all happens digitally, so the money only exists as units of account on a computer somewhere. Exactly like crypto.

At one point, when we were on the gold standard, we had these same debates about the value of fiat money. And before the gold standard, Oog and Thag had conversations about shiny metal or mastodon horn as a basis for trade. Nothing ever changes.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
    At one point, when we were on the gold standard, we had these same debates about the value of fiat money. And before the gold standard, Oog and Thag had conversations about shiny metal or mastodon horn as a basis for trade. Nothing ever changes.
    The blued steel standard is working OK for me at this time......Ben

Ah, you see? Guns are functional and useful. Intrinsic value.

I remember reading about TEOTWAWKI in some prepper magazine. The debate was about whether to hoard gold or silver. The guy who, in my opinion, had the most insight was the fellow that pointed out that neither of these items would have value if civilization fell apart. You know what would, he said?

Ammunition. Specifically 12 gauge shells, 30-06 and/or 30-30 centerfire, and 22 rimshot. A lot more useful than a bar of metal.

Ah, you see? Guns are functional and useful. Intrinsic value.

I remember reading about TEOTWAWKI in some prepper magazine. The debate was about whether to hoard gold or silver. The guy who, in my opinion, had the most insight was the fellow that pointed out that neither of these items would have value if civilization fell apart. You know what would, he said?

Ammunition. Specifically 12 gauge shells, 30-06 and/or 30-30 centerfire, and 22 rimshot. A lot more useful than a bar of metal.
    I fully believe that!
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

Those with gold and silver would be melting it down for their bullet molds if they had a source for empty brass, powder and primers......Ben