Thread: rinos hang on

rinos hang on

The deniers hang on to the lies in Michigan.

Republicans in Michigan on Saturday selected Trump loyalist Kristina Karamo as their next state chair, elevating an election denier to a critical leadership role in a sign of the growing clout of far-right and grassroots members over the party in the battleground state.

The election of Karamo could complicate the party's ability to raise money ahead of the 2024 elections, when Michigan will likely play an important role in who controls the White House and the U.S. Senate.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

I have a problem with the RINO moniker. In the last Arizona election, which I acknowledge os the standard of everything that could go wrong, doing so, it seemed that if you were not a Trump loyalist, you were called a RINO, and typically they would cal a lifelong republican that, when they had only recently switched party. Am I missing something, that if you do not adhere to the newest version of republican, you are now a RINO?
    If you don't make someone elses life better, what good is yours?

Weighty decisions are easy to make, when you aren't burdened by all the necessary information

The inherent vice of capitalism is the unequal sharing of blessings. The inherent virtue of communism is the sharing of misery. -Winston Churchill

If you think the United States is bad, think of another country that wants to put troops on the border to keep illegal aliens out, instead of walling in their citizenry

Any life long Republican should take great exception to being called a rino if they do not bow to the likes of trump and kari lake to name only a few. Russell "Rusty" Bowers is a Republican, I am a Republican----these interlopers have no right to the name simply because they broke the door down. The trump/lake crowd are without a stitch of integrity or care about anything other than themselves. They are nouveau republicans (lower case), i.e. rinos, let them wear the moniker.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Doing a search tells me the term has morphed to be anyone who doesn't wrap themselves in Trump's cloak. An example of what I found is in the Deseret News

While the term RINO has been used for decades to insult Republicans who didn’t follow party orthodoxy, its meaning has transformed in the Trump era to be largely centered around the former president’s personality and personal agenda, according to Matthew Continetti, a senior fellow at the American Enterprise Institute and author of “The Right: The Hundred-Year War for American Conservatism.”

Traditionally, RINO and similar terms, like “me-tooer” during the New Deal era, were used “to indicate that a Republican is deviating from conservative views,” Continetti said. “But what we’ve seen in the last two years is that the term has no relation to policy and what it’s really about is whether the Republican stands by Donald Trump or not.”

The RINO acronym became popular in the early 1990s as the Republican party platform became increasingly fixed around a set of specific issues. In this environment, Republican politicians sought to establish their ideological purity by marking some partisans as “not conservative enough.”

“This was applied to people who were more liberal Republicans, who weren’t taking the positions that conservatives agreed on — on abortion, gun control or on the role of government,” said Richard Davis, BYU professor emeritus of political science, of the term RINO.
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

Granted, what I wrote is my own definition---and that's my story and I'm sticking to it!

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Grubb View Post
    Granted, what I wrote is my own definition---and that's my story and I'm sticking to it!
    I'm with you, Dave. We might be behind times.

Regardless, I now consider myself independent until the Republicans clean their house!
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    I'm with you, Dave. We might be behind times.

Regardless, I now consider myself independent until the Republicans clean their house!
    Officially, I am now registered as an independent, in my heart I remain a Republican. When real Republicans take back the party I will be back in a flash

Hmmm... I may need to adjust my party status as well. Calling oneself a Republican or a Democrat has lost its meaning in recent years. I would not be surprised if the number of Independents has skyrocketed as a result.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

I've never registered a party affiliation. My wife, a lifelong Democrat (bless her leftist heart) is no longer registered with any party affiliation. Seems as if the extremes of both parties are driving the more centrist members to become independent.