Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Up up and away

Up up and away

In my beautiful balloon. I'm pretty sure everybody has seen the reports about the Chinese spy balloon flying over The United States. Was wondering if anybody had any opinion about this. To me it seems like a pretty bold move to enter our air space. I don't have enough knowledge of American intelligence to know what a proper response would be. Apparently the administration's ruled out, at least as we speak, any type of a military response to disable the balloon. Personally, I can't help but think this is an aggressive move by the Chinese.
    Last edited by Honda; 02-03-2023 at 04:32 PM.
    OPINION....a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

Bring it down and examine it......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

From what I've read, they are saying it probably can't learn anything their satellites haven't already discovered. They are also claiming a fear of collateral damage when it falls to the ground. I don't know if either of these government issued statements are true, but if they are true, I say leave it alone. Although it would be have been very satisfying to have shot it down at the border.

Just another fine example of not trusting our government to tell us the truth.
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

Shoot it down. The idea that shooting it down over Montana, one of our least populated states, is dangerous to people on the ground is silly. I've heard that this is partly to test how much the Chinese think they can get away with. Shooting it down answers that nicely.

hit it with a Jewish Space Laser
    "The only thing that we learn from torture is the depths of our own moral depravity"

For the sake of argument, I wonder if the response would have been different if the balloon was Russian?
    OPINION....a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by Honda View Post
    For the sake of argument, I wonder if the response would have been different if the balloon was Russian?
    I think it probably would have been on the ground as soon as we detected it in our airspace.
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

I wonder if we have cracked their telemetry and are feeding them computer generated BS instead of shooting it own
    "The only thing that we learn from torture is the depths of our own moral depravity"

Quote Originally Posted by TriGuy View Post
    I wonder if we have cracked their telemetry and are feeding them computer generated BS instead of shooting it own
    Known in the trade as deception intel...They do the same to us...It's a game to see who has the best BS detector......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

I just heard on the news that the size of this thing is very large. They described it as being as large as 2 to 3 school buses. Interesting point raised by tri Guy. I would hope we do have those kinds of technologies.

Population density of Montana per square mile - 7.

And most of them are clustered in a few cities. You can travel a long way in Montana and never see anything but gophers and wheat fields.

The explanation being given to us just doesn't make sense to me.

That thing is so freakin' high it might not land for a long time depending on the winds. Might not be Montana where it comes down.

I did a search and I can't find any reference to the actual altitude of the gasbag...Has anyone seen it?......Ben

Quote Originally Posted by Truckman View Post
    I did a search and I can't find any reference to the actual altitude of the gasbag...Has anyone seen it?......Ben
    All I've seen is that it is well above any altitude commercial airlines use and posed no danger to them.

Ah Ha! 66,000'