Thread: Stupid

Stupid

The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

While I think that be an over simplification as well as a questionable example, I do agree wholeheartedly with the premise.

The rush to "stick a pillow under their ass" when any problem came about was an unending contention point around our house.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

If we had bicycle helmets as kids I probably would not have spent 3 days in a coma and years battling a TBI. I still would have gotten racked up though. From Judo, Thai Boxing, rock climbing, skate boarding. Helicopter parents need to be slapped upside their heads. Let the kids play dammit.
    "The only thing that we learn from torture is the depths of our own moral depravity"

I think safety devices have a place to protect children. I have never understood everybody gets a trophy. Seems counterintuitive to competition. I agree with the sentiment that we should let children be children. However, that said, if I had young ones these days I doubt that they would be allowed to do the things that I did and got by with it. One example was a drill we ran every practice in Little League football. They were called head-ons. The drill basically required two players to line up about 2 yards from each other and smash into each other's heads like rams. Must have participated in this drill a hundred times. Looking back it was patently dangerous.
    OPINION....a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

Looking back, I should have not lived past the age of 5 by today's standards. But, I wouldn't change a thing, I had a blast! Literally! I feel sorry for today's over-protected kids that don't know how much fun they are missing.
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

Living 5 years would have been generous for me. I was the type of kid that liked to play in traffic.
    OPINION....a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

Learning to lose well is an important skill. Like good manners, it is part of the grease society runs on. No one likes losing but kids need to learn to deal.

I'm all in favor of safety equipment being mandated for kids. When I got spanged off a motorcycle at age 7, it was my helmet that kept my brains from being painted all over the road. Drop a ripe melon from shoulder height to see what can happen to your own melon if you take a tumble off a bicycle.

16 miles west of the White House, Northern Virginia..
    In Boy Scouts we would hike on the beach at Dam Neck (Virginia Beach drone range).. find unspent 50 cal rounds, pull them apart and pour out the gun powder then light it.. Boy Scouts..

Quote Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
    In Boy Scouts we would hike on the beach at Dam Neck (Virginia Beach drone range).. find unspent 50 cal rounds, pull them apart and pour out the gun powder then light it.. Boy Scouts..
    Oh, hell yeah! I would have been up for that! I still have burnt and un-burnt powder in my hand from a premature explosion of a homemade cannon when I was in high school.

Explains your support for the 2A - you are part ammo!

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
    LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
    It's a family thing, Mike is a son of a gun......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

Peanuts.

I've had the chemistry set, wood burning tools and 2x4 skate boards back in the day. Also the station wagon had rear facing seats and no seat belts.
    Fred

"Everyday I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've
    stayed alive."

'Take care of yourself, and each other.'

Quote Originally Posted by FredK View Post
    Peanuts.

I've had the chemistry set, wood burning tools and 2x4 skate boards back in the day. Also the station wagon had rear facing seats and no seat belts.
    I grew up with all the above and somehow survived! Oh! And BB guns and pellet guns from the time I was able to cock them. Still have both eyes, how could that be?

Being a farm boy, I went something like 8 years running that I had at least one concussion----I fell off more horses than most people rode
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis