Thread: An interesting equation...

An interesting equation...

One of the YouTube channels which I regularly watch is the Adept Ape channel...How he reached his choice of usernames is a mystery to me, but he seems to be a very intelligent as well as thorough and inquisitive Caterpillar diesel mechanic...Today's video concerns trying to gain better fuel mileage with diesel tunes...The specific vehicle in concern is a Peterbilt with C15 Cat @ 475HP pulling 80K pounds consistently...The driver complains of getting an average of 3.8 MPG...The equation he introduces is MPG per 1K pounds, calculated as gross weight X mileage ÷ 1000 = fuel mileage per 1K pounds...In this case: 80,000 lbs X 3.8 MPG ÷ 1,000 = 304 MPG(1K#)...Extending the math to Honda hybrids and motorcycles the Pete is far more efficient...Using the math on my mighty Dodge/Cummins I get 7500 X 12 = 90(1K#)...12 MPG is about average city/hwy for me with my 4.10 gears...That makes me feel only slightly better having dropped $350 at the pump last week at my quarterly fillup...Here's the video......Ben

The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

Add me to the Adept Ape following.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

Quote Originally Posted by UTAH View Post
    Add me to the Adept Ape following.

Hunter
    The dude knows his stuff......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

I know several guys and gals that drive truck. years ago when diesel started to cost more than gas many of the companies they work for de-tuned the engines to save fuel. the result was they would have to run a lower gear at a higher rpm to pull the same loads at the same speed and that meant worse mpg. before the de-tune, they could run a higher gear with lower rpm's = better mpg's.
    it's time to change the air in my head