Thread: Construction Project

Construction Project

....I am in the construction business today-----I'm building a pot of beef vegetable soup

I started with the sun this morning by browning two pieces of beef shin (with marrow bones in place) in lard in my Mother's hundred year old iron skillet

I am currently about 80% complete----with all the herbs and spices remaining to go in. I still have a few veggies to add but I need to let things "consolidate" so I have more room in the pot.

It should be ready by the Eagles game tomorrow night at 8:15 PM
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Ha! I'm doing pretty much the same, but with chicken. It will have spices, chicken thighs, potatoes, carrots, onions, frozen green peas, frozen baby Lima beans, and frozen corn. Big drop dumplings will be added near the end. Anything else that sounds good during the build will be added, as well.

Since I'm by myself now, I don't have the motivation to cook a good meal very often and this is my way of trying to eat a diet that is more balanced than my normal meat and potatoes. It will feed me for probably 4 days. If I get tired of it before then I will freeze the leftover for later. I do something similar with beef.
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

Yesterday I went to the grocery for my weekly trip. Fresh produce is looking up---and the prices down. I saw iceberg lettuce for $1.69---down from $6 plus

I have learned to do my first produce pass in reverse. They have a shelf in the back---next to the door with reduced price produce. Yesterday I got a bargain on asparagus, mushrooms and bell peppers---but they had to go in the pot today---and they did

I just finished loading the last of a head of cabbage----I have to let it wilt so I can fit it all in.

One of the wonderful things about vegetable soup (and many others) is that you can change it----but you really can't mess it up
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Damn! Mushrooms!

I usually put in fresh mushrooms near the end, but I don't have any and I'm not driving to town just to get them. They can always be added later if I find myself going to town.
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

Other than the shrooms, I'm into the soup.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

I have to say this. I have never cooked anything using lard and I doubt that I ever will. It has no appeal to me
    "The only thing that we learn from torture is the depths of our own moral depravity"

I am not even close to being a regular user and have no need to defend lard---that said, Lemon Boy mounted a rather impressive case in favor of lard and it's many misconceptions.

I could not tell you the last time I had lard in the house---but if you want authentic refried beans lard is an essential ingredient.

A few years ago at a local restaurant they had a sign out in front for fasnachts the last week before lent. Fasnachts are a PA Dutch traditional donut originally made to use up sugar, lard and butter before lent. The Tuesday before Ash Wednesday is called Shrove Tuesday----your last chance to "indulge" until after lent. Anyway---on the sign for the fasnacts was "cooked in lard"---it apparently was an effective marketing tool.

Moderation in all things

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Grubb View Post
    I could not tell you the last time I had lard in the house
    i couldn't tell you the last time i did not have lard in the house
    i season my cast iron with it, use it for biscuits and for frying chicken
    i get a bunch of lard every year when i get my pig butchered, so it is basicly free and i see no reason not to use it. different strokes make the world go round
    it's time to change the air in my head

At my grocery store there is a large refrigerated shelf that is all lard and natural casing (pig intestines). To have as much as they have, indicates to me there are a lot of people buying them. For the lard they have multiple size containers.

I had the opportunity to meet Ryan (Lemon Boy) a few decades ago. It was an honor.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

Quote Originally Posted by UTAH View Post
    I had the opportunity to meet Ryan (Lemon Boy) a few decades ago. It was an honor.

Hunter
    We came as close as across the street from each other in CO, but just could not make it work. I still hear from him occasionally.

I like it. If you do connect, tell him there're friends of his here who'd like to hear from him.

Hunter