Thread: The Demon Core

The Demon Core

I came across a TikTok video about a Plutonium core designed as the third nuclear bomb in WWII that was not needed. Instead, it was kept at Los Alamos Laboratory for experimentation. It seems some scientists liked to "play" with the core and accidentally initiated a fission reaction on at least two occasions but were able to interrupt the reaction before the whole thing went boom. One of the scientists called his tempt of fate "tickling the tail of the dragon". In 1964, the dragon awoke long enough to kill him. He was not the first. It seems remarkable to me that they did not wipe Los Alamos from the map. VIDEO
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

I don't recall ever having heard of those events

My nuclear engineering courses were in 1969 when I was a senior. I'm thinking this might not have been made public at the time. As part of one of my classes we went to the Enrico Fermi 1 plant at Detroit Edison. It was a liquid sodium cooled breeder reactor that was Three Mile Island 2 on a small scale. The reactor was well on the way to critical and had melted some of the core when they managed to shut it down.

The "cause" was an undocumented modification to the core. Unlike TMI the operators followed procedures and the unit shut down as designed. It ultimately was repaired and refueled---but never reached full power and has long ago been deactivated.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

I've read about it before somewhere but I had forgotten about it. I just did a search and found lots of links. It appears that there was even a movie about it. Damn, what things we do in ignorance!
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

I remember us having a thread about it here in the past...Nasty stuff...More info here......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

Documentary on YouTube.

The comments section was illuminating.

Personally, I think we have gained the ability to kill millions of people. May our leaders be wise enough to not use that ability.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead