Thread: Electrical Power in California Insufficient for Cars

Electrical Power in California Insufficient for Cars

This is something I have been wondering about ever since more and more things are being converted to electricity, even mandated within a short time - where is the electricity going to come from? Many places already suffer from electricity shortages, what happens when we add to the load?

This article is about California, a leader in the "green" movement, and how they are going to provide charging power to its rapidly expanding electric vehicle fleet. It does not look pretty from here.

In Texas, we will have the same problem. Texas is already on the brink of grid failure due to lack of generating capacity, we cannot build power plants to keep up with the demand and we are shutting down plants left and right. To top it off, I don't think the politicians want to solve the problem, it's easier just to kick it down the road until the whole thing collapses.

I'm not sure generation capacity could be increased in time even if we wanted to do it. There are too many roadblocks preventing it ranging from investors to government regulations to environmental activists etc.

As California rapidly boosts sales of electric cars and trucks over the next decade, the answer to a critical question remains uncertain: Will there be enough electricity to power them?

State officials claim that the 12.5 million electric vehicles expected on California’s roads in 2035 will not strain the grid. But their confidence that the state can avoid brownouts relies on a best-case — some say unrealistic — scenario: massive and rapid construction of offshore wind and solar farms, and drivers charging their cars in off-peak hours.

Under a groundbreaking new state regulation, 35% of new 2026 car models sold in California must be zero-emissions, ramping up to 100% in 2035. Powering the vehicles means the state must triple the amount of electricity produced and deploy new solar and wind energy at almost five times the pace of the past decade.

The Air Resources Board enacted the mandate last August — and just six days later, California’s power grid was so taxed by heat waves that an unprecedented, 10-day emergency alert warned residents to cut electricity use or face outages. The juxtaposition of the mandate and the grid crisis sparked widespread skepticism: How can the state require Californians to buy electric cars if the grid couldn’t even supply enough power to make it through the summer?
    SOURCE
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

Yeah , there is no way in hell they can build out the infrastructure fast enough. They can however due to the lack thereof force people into the money losing all electric public transportation systems. To that end they are mandating that the cites build high density housing at every transit center whether they want to or not.

it's all bullcrap
    "The only thing that we learn from torture is the depths of our own moral depravity"

There are a lot of serious issues to be resolved before we're going to be all comfortably running around in electric cars.
    OPINION....a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

California can't even sustain the electric power needed by their citizens now, and they certainly can't magically produce the power needed by a state full of electric cars...Newsom is an idiot, and those who voted him into office are morons...I suggest they move to Fantasyland......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

Quote Originally Posted by Truckman View Post
    I suggest they move to Fantasyland......Ben
    Ben...it's California, they are already there......
    "The only thing that we learn from torture is the depths of our own moral depravity"

Man, it looks like CA jumped the shark on this one (one of my favorite TV references).

What we'll see next is some of the CA followers out there make the same error. We simply cannot create infrastructure in the short run. It has to be planned and financed in advance.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

Quote Originally Posted by TriGuy View Post
    Ben...it's California, they are already there......
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

Just for the record---and IMHO---this shortage of available power is not an engineering problem. In places like CA and TX it is clearly a political problem----caused by a vacuum between the ears of the politicians.

It can be fixed---not immediately but rather quickly if the barriers were taken down.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

I believe you are correct, Dave. Engineers can build anything given the money and the freedom to do so. But, in our current political environment I don't see that happening. The politicians are simply going to kick it down the road hoping it doesn't fall completely apart until they have left office.

BTW, as much as I like point fingers at Cali, that was not the intention of this thread. Cali got the spot because they are the scope of the article. I fully recognize that Texas is in just about the same shape and many other states are working on getting there. For the short term, legislators in Wyoming might be on the right track with their bill to ban electric vehicle sales in the state.
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

In our Capitalistic economy/society banning sales is easily worked around. For, if people have the interest, and money to pursue it, they will do so.

What would perhaps be more effective would be banning ways to charge an electric car. But, again, people will buy what they want to buy.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

It looks like a battle is brewing in Austin.

It’s been almost two years since the big blackout of 2021, and most people agree the Texas power grid still needs "fixing.” The question is how.

Now, a fight is brewing at the state Capitol over that very issue. It pits powerful industries, politicians and regulators against each other, and it will have an impact on energy bills, grid reliability and the environment.

But it all hinges on a wonky policy proposal out of the Public Utility Commission of Texas.
    Read the shocking article.

"One thing all opponents agree on is that the plan is untested. It will cost billions, but there’s no real-world example to show it will work."
    - NPR

An extraordinarily high price tag on a product that may or may not work.

Hunter

Politicians pushing these projects are not looking beyond the end of their nose. They are so laser focused on doing away with anything petroleum and other gases I don't think they've really considered the consequences to the extent necessary.
    OPINION....a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.