Thread: 4x4 and tires

4x4 and tires

I can't tell you how many folks question why I have a dually 4x4 with M+S rated tires. Ruth had the answer on the road to a facility where she is one of the exhibition riders. The area flooded last week, and many of the roads are still covered in wet mud. She encountered just that and other rigs could not get through. She slipped it into 4x4, put it in 3rd and let the diesel do its thing without spinning the tires much and went right on through horse trailer in tow pulling right around some stuck non 4x4 rigs. That's my girl
    "The only thing that we learn from torture is the depths of our own moral depravity"

Kudos on the tires, TG. They're like wearing shoes for the task at hand - regardless if they're Louis Vuitton or not. It's all about function.

I'm one of those tire/wheel nuts who has two sets for every vehicle - cause Winter & Summer have extraordinarily different road conditions.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

Quote Originally Posted by UTAH View Post
    Kudos on the tires, TG. They're like wearing shoes for the task at hand - regardless if they're Louis Vuitton or not. It's all about function.

I'm one of those tire/wheel nuts who has two sets for every vehicle - cause Winter & Summer have extraordinarily different road conditions.

Hunter

Couple of years ago we were on a trip through Washington and Oregon in our truck/camper set up. Our friends have a similar set up but their truck was rear wheel drive with a locking differential. He always bragged that you didn't need 4x4 with his set up. Until that trip. We were meeting up in the cascades and he found himself with the front end on dry pavement and the rear in ice and slush and got stuck. He had to get pulled out. I was in 4x4 and never noticed when we pulled in 30 minutes later. He now has a 4x4 with M+S tires lol
    "The only thing that we learn from torture is the depths of our own moral depravity"

16 miles west of the White House, Northern Virginia..
    BFG A/T are the best snow tire that I’ve had.. but can be a little loud..

No substitute for 4WD and good tires when needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
    BFG A/T are the best snow tire that I’ve had...
    Ding ding ding - my tire of choice for Winter on the Jeep.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

Quote Originally Posted by UTAH View Post
    Ding ding ding - my tire of choice for Winter on the Jeep.

Hunter
    It's all I ran on my 72 FJ40
    Last edited by TriGuy; 01-24-2023 at 09:29 PM.

Hunter

i always used to run bfg's. then i watched a buddy of mine get twice the mileage out of a set of delta m/s. i had to change my bfg's at about 22k, my buddy had over 40k on the delta's when he passed away. i have since switched to deltas. they do excellent in rain, snow and mud and are quieter on the road. so far i'm at 30k on them and they still have over half tread left. best part is the delta's are way cheaper!
    it's time to change the air in my head

On my previous Dodge/Cummins I rode on Michelin XZE 245/70R19.5 tires in a load range F...I wore out two sets of tires in about 30K miles each, much better than the OE Goodyears...On my current mighty Dodge/Cummins I found I could not afford the same Michelins at $500 a pop, so I took a chance on Chinese Roadlux 245/70R19.5 in load range H (the only LR available in that size) at $174 each delivered to my driveway...They are a straight rib highway pattern comparable to the Michelins I had before...They've been on the truck four years as of today with zero problems other than one reparable puncture (wasn't even losing air until it was pulled out)...

They ride as smooth as the Michelins even with a higher air pressure, and needed less weights to balance properly...I don't go offroad and only had a few instances to drive them on ice during the big freeze (no issues at all)...I have close to 40K miles on them now with more than half the tread depth remaining and no sign of fatigue cracking in either sidewalls or tread areas...When they eventually need replacement, I'll look for them again which may present a problem since they've disappeared from Amazon...At much less than half the cost of comparable Michelins and with so far better performance, I won't hesitate to try Chinese manufacturers in the future, despite the political conflict......Ben

[...Here's a current pic of the remaining tread after 40k miles, I don't rotate...]

The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

Looked up the Chinese Roadlux - you're correct they're not on Amazon. But, they do show up at other websites.

The best part is seeing another pic of your truck, which is spotless of course.

Hunter

Ben: Roadmaster, a division of Cooper tires makes some really nice durable inexpensive 19.5s

Quote Originally Posted by TriGuy View Post
    Ben: Roadmaster, a division of Cooper tires makes some really nice durable inexpensive 19.5s
    Thanks Eric...I'll make a note, in case I live long enough to wear these out...I'll be on the road again this Saturday at three gun shows......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

Our work trucks are all on General Grabbers. They were the factory tires but more importantly, when we did a study a few years ago, they had the best wear for what we were doing. We compared Commercial TA’s, Firestones, hankook, Goodyears, and aome off the wall Korean tire. The Generals got about 25% more mileage.
    On my jeep, I ran 39.5” km3’s, until they were no longer available. Now I am on 40” procomp mt2’s and am actually pleasantly surprised. You all can have your snow tires. Unless the jeep is involved, I studiously avoid snow.
    If you don't make someone elses life better, what good is yours?

Weighty decisions are easy to make, when you aren't burdened by all the necessary information

The inherent vice of capitalism is the unequal sharing of blessings. The inherent virtue of communism is the sharing of misery. -Winston Churchill

If you think the United States is bad, think of another country that wants to put troops on the border to keep illegal aliens out, instead of walling in their citizenry

Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    I studiously avoid snow.
    I totally agree. But, I married a local and can't just forget to come home when it's snowing.

Hunter