Thread: David Crosby passes at 81

David Crosby passes at 81

Founder of Crosby, Stills and Nash----and famous stoner, may you find peace.

"Wasted on the Way"
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

I read that yesterday...I was never a fan of that style of music of that era, I just never approved of the drug abuse...However the talent of many of them was evident...RIP......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

I saw that as well. I still listen to his music as well as multiple other genres, and I never cared about the drugs, just the amazing music. RIP
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

I had (have?) the same issues with the stoners of all kinds---they could piss me off---so much talent with their heads so far up their asses! John Denver was one that I just wanted to slap around---what in the world is wrong with you
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Grubb View Post
    I had (have?) the same issues with the stoners of all kinds---:
    I've seen them in real life also, although I didn't allow myself close contact after identifying who they were...And having been alcohol dependent for 12 years of my life, I know how close I came to permanently falling off into the deep end...You either dodge the bullet, or you don't......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

I used to feel much the same way as the two of you, but time and experience have mellowed that. I never shunned any musician because of their lifestyle. If the music is something I like, I listen to it. If you start censoring the music, or any other art, because of lifestyle you will lose a lot more than you might realize. Do a search for artists who abuse(d) drugs and/or alcohol and you might be surprised at the results. From authors to musicians to playwrights to actors to composers, the list is long and filled with celebrated personalities. I think creative people may be wired differently and are more susceptible to substance abuse. I don't have to like the abuse, but they are adults who were capable of making their own decisions before they got the demon on their backs. Some can kick it while others either don't want to, or just simply can't do it.

Many years ago, I watched and helped a heroin addict go through withdrawal in a bedroom just a few feet away from my own bedroom. With no professional or medical help. It was not pretty and doubt that I could have done it myself. I thought she was going to die! But, she refused any medical help, so there we were.

That young girl was the daughter of a dear friend and she was probably about 18 at the time. I hadn't seen or heard from her in about 17 years when I got a text message from her about a month ago. She wanted to get together to talk. Last week, she came to my Houston home and we talked for a long time. She came back the next day and helped me pack up the garage.

Guess what? She is now somewhere around 35 years sober in regards to hard drugs! That's something I never expected. I don't know and didn't ask about any other drugs but I see this as a huge accomplishment for her. She says we saved her life in that bedroom.
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

Congrats to you both for that, Mike......Ben

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    If the music is something I like, I listen to it.
    Exactamundo.

And our people vote with their wallets - making stars of people like David Crosby. I consider him a musical legend.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

back in 76-78 I went with my girl friend, my sister and her boyfriend to see Crosby Stills and Nash at the Los Angeles forum. The vocals were amazing. We were blown away. Then they played "Our House" and the ladies in the audience were all singing and the band stopped singing but kept playing and waving to the audience to keep singing. At the end the 3 of them walked to the edge of the stage mikes in hand and said that that was the most amazing thing ever 20,000 people singing their song to them. they played for another 2 hours.

Last edited by TriGuy; 01-21-2023 at 01:31 AM.
    "The only thing that we learn from torture is the depths of our own moral depravity"

RIP.

Never liked the group.

One of the few protest songs I remember of my youth was Ohio - about the Kent State shootings. Yeah, Young wrote it and the others stood beside him to perform it.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead