Thread: The ATF issues ruling yesterday

The ATF issues ruling yesterday

It appears that the ATF with one fell swoop has reclassified millions of legally purchased weapons which were purchased as pistols to now being NFA short barrel rifles which requires registration. These weapons were sold as pistols. The weapons had an installed brace so that the gun could be held steady but yet not be shouldered. This is going to be a big cluster for anyone who owns those weapons. According to my limited research owners have several choices. Turn the gun into the ATF, remove the brace and render it so that it could never be installed again, or register it. They have given 120 day grace period for this to be done. I can't imagine they will be able to process the millions of requests for registration within 120 days.

https://www.silencershop.com/blog/po...s-2023#amnesty
    OPINION....a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

Since the date (Jan. 13, 2023) that the ATF issued the new rule regarding "pistol braces" that Honda posted above, the 5th Circuit Court of Appeals has ruled that the ATF's rule banning "bump stocks" is wrong because they do not meet the definition of "machine gun".

In 2018—after determining that bump stocks were not machine guns on ten separate occasions—ATF changed its position and reclassified bump stocks as machine guns, thereby banning any bump stock produced after 1986, effectively all of them. That decision prompted several legal challenges under the Administrative Procedure Act, which directs courts to “set aside” government actions that are “not in accordance with law.” The Fifth Circuit ultimately held that a bump stock does not meet the federal definition of a machine gun, because it does not allow the firearm to discharge multiple rounds by a single action of the trigger, and ATF’s Rule was not in accordance with the law.

But the decision goes well beyond bump stocks. The court said that the Rule “purports to allow ATF—rather than Congress—to set forth the scope of criminal prohibitions.” That position was squarely rejected over 200 years ago, when Chief Justice Marshall, writing for the Supreme Court, declared “the power of punishment is vested in the legislative, not in the judicial department. It is the legislature … which is to define a crime, and ordain its punishment.” Thus, Congress, not ATF or the courts, must decide if bump stocks—or any other firearm—should be criminally outlawed, and Congress has not done that with bump stocks.
    Aim Here

Pay particular to the second paragraph of the quote above. I suspect the courts will overrule the "brace rule" in short order because ATF does not have the power to make new law.

I also think we may see a number of rules and "laws" overturned for the same reason - agencies making laws they have no right to make.
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

"Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals Invalidates ATF Bump-Stock Rule—Holds that Congress, Not ATF, Declares What the Law Is."

Yep, short and sweet.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead