Thread: So----you think the drought is over in CA?

So----you think the drought is over in CA?

Not yet my friends!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	280.3 KB 
ID:	39375

This is more an indicator of how deficient they were than how much they have recently recieved
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Oh great, so my area in Utah is still in the "D3 (Extreme Drought)" designation. The horses out on the Pony Express Trail will have a tough year (though the BLM has put a water trough for them near Simpson Springs).

What I do know is that CA has gained upper levels of precipitation this year. And, as those storms head East they hit Utah and Colorado. My personal measure is simple - in a wet year, I have to shovel more snow. I've done that 3 times this year. And, in the preceding 4 years, I've only shoveled once a year.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

I think I saw a report that most of the reservoirs were back to high 30-mid 40% range.

Snow pack was much higher.
    As of Monday, California’s snow water equivalent was 199% of normal for the date (January 9), according to the California Department of Water Resources.
    Fred

"Everyday I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've
    stayed alive."

'Take care of yourself, and each other.'

we received over 3" of rain in the last 24 hours but right now there is this weird yellow orb in the sky
    "The only thing that we learn from torture is the depths of our own moral depravity"

Quote Originally Posted by TriGuy View Post
    we received over 3" of rain in the last 24 hours but right now there is this weird yellow orb in the sky
    Satan's Circle!...The end is nigh!...Run!......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

this is the current status of all the reservoirs. those with missing data are up in the sierras and frozen over or the comm lines are down from the storms.

https://cdec.water.ca.gov/reportapp/...name=RESSW.pdf
    "The only thing that we learn from torture is the depths of our own moral depravity"

I just hate the fact that the residents of California had to pay such a heavy price to get some water.
    OPINION....a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by Honda View Post
    I just hate the fact that the residents of California had to pay such a heavy price to get some water.
    Counties let people build in stupid places, morons make the purchase without doing a risk assessment (FYI that report is free from the state.)

Quote Originally Posted by TriGuy View Post
    this is the current status of all the reservoirs. those with missing data are up in the sierras and frozen over or the comm lines are down from the storms.

https://cdec.water.ca.gov/reportapp/...name=RESSW.pdf
    I guess that explains why I could not find anything on Hetch Hetchy
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Grubb View Post
    I guess that explains why I could not find anything on Hetch Hetchy
    here ya go

https://waterdata.usgs.gov/monitorin...054&period=P7D

I did find that but with no other information it was hard to translate that into % full.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Grubb View Post
    I did find that but with no other information it was hard to translate that into % full.
    max capacity is 1.7 billion gallons so use an online converter to acre feet

I believe this is correct:

According to the San Francisco Public Utilities Commission, Hetch Hetchy Reservoir can store as much as 117 billion gallons for the Hetch Hetchy Regional Water System, which serves San Francisco, Santa Clara, Alameda and San Mateo counties.
    Current amount is 290900 Ac-ft

That = 290900 x 325851 gal/Ac-ft

117,000,000,000 gal /325851 gal/Ac-ft= 359,060 Ac-ft

Thus current volume is a bit over 80%---far better than the last time I saw it!