Thread: Guns and ammo

Guns and ammo

A state legislator here is proposing a law that requires gun owners to keep their guns in a gun safe and ammunition in another locked storage space.

I've got a problem with that.

Where I live, it takes about 45 minutes for any sort of law enforcement to come when summoned. The state trooper I spoke with, a friend of mine since childhood, said that I should be prepared to handle things myself, given my remote location. So, I keep my handgun by my bed, Israeli carry. This shotgun I keep for varmints is also similarly disposed in the living room.

We have no children at home and when someone comes over, I unload and put the guns away.

That ought to be enough. Reasonable precautions. To me, a gun I have to go get from a safe and then go to the separate lockbox for ammo in order to meet an emergency is useless and this proposed law essentially means relying on harsh language to control a problem. It trades my security for someone feeling good about "being tough on guns".

This state has a real problem when it comes to gun owners.

You're preaching to the choir here, Kevin...But it might be entertaining if Red PSD Van showed up with a trashbag full of statistics to show us all how wrong we are......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

Quote Originally Posted by Truckman View Post
    You're preaching to the choir here, Kevin...But it might be entertaining if Red PSD Van showed up with a trashbag full of statistics to show us all how wrong we are......Ben
    Me thinks he lost his key
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

So the scotus says you can have a gun and New York says okay but you can't use it in your home to protect yourself. Makes perfect sense to me...........
    OPINION....a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.