Thread: Windows 11

Windows 11

Through many years of dealing with advanced technology I learned there were a few places that I was not willing to be on the "cutting edge". Critical software was one of those places. I not only had no interest in finding the cutting edge to be the bleeding edge.

Now that Windows 11 has demonstrated freedom from unknown "oops" moments I decided to make the move from Windows 10 to 11. I did the first upgrade yesterday and at least so far it has been a none event. My involvement was only watching the progress "meter" and telling it to proceed. It took maybe 30 minutes to complete including the download and the install.

If all continues to go well I will do another next week.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

What does it cost?......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

If you already have Windows 10 it is free. If you need to buy it it is about $120.00. All but one of mine are Windows 10 machines---with a few exceptions. One is still running Windows 7 and one Windows 95!

I am at a cross roads on the Windows 7 machine. I intend giving it to the grandchildren but I'm not sure how best to do that and need to have more discussion with them. It is perfectly fine for working on the internet but will have software compatibility problems for their school programs and peripherals. It is a perfectly good machine so I am looking at my options:
    1. Leave it as a Windows 7 machine
    2. Toss it and buy a new machine with Windows 11
    3. Replace the hard drive with Windows 11 preloaded
    4. Buy Windows 11 and do a new install

My IT guy likes #2

Added in edit: Snooping around I think my low cost option is going to be to buy a used hard drive with Windows 10 loaded and then upgrade that to Windows 11.

You do need a minimum of 500 GB memory.
    Last edited by Dave Grubb; 01-10-2023 at 05:05 PM.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Just found glitch #1, I could not sign in to one of my vendors. The work around was to use Microsoft Edge rather than Chrome

"2. Toss it and buy a new machine with Windows 11."
    - Dave

Did that myself. Yet, my old Windows 10 laptop survived and still updates.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

I'm too damn stubborn to be pushed around by the likes of Microsoft. My Win7 machine is the best I've ever had and I don't intend to upgrade. The machine can die when I do. I will probably eventually fire up a Linux machine for important stuff and use the Win7 box for legacy applications that are isolated from the internet.
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    I'm too damn stubborn to be pushed around by the likes of Microsoft. My Win7 machine is the best I've ever had and I don't intend to upgrade. The machine can die when I do. I will probably eventually fire up a Linux machine for important stuff and use the Win7 box for legacy applications that are isolated from the internet.
    There is a reason why that machine is still running Windows 7----and if I were keeping it it would remain unchanged. However, it is going to the kids and I don't believe they will have the same thoughts about antiquity.