Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Over the top

Over the top

....This took some time to fully sink in

Read for yourself----I don't even want to repeat this story. I'm sure the good folks in Missouri are happy to have helped out here. Just thinking----that is the "Show me state"----they should have a right to view what they paid for
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Why the hell the taxpayers should be on the hook for an inmate to "transition" is beyond me. I'm thinking that judge should be forced to spend a few nights with "her".
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

Sounds like an excellent suggestion
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Murder is murder - regardless who did it and what their sexual orientation is.

I have openly supported the death penalty and still do. These killers aren't "normal" criminals who can be rehabilitated. Many criminals do not return to prison and become taxpaying citizens.

My wife and I participated in 4 of the last 5 executions. Before each one, we sat down with the person's file and studied every entry in it. There were no mistaken judgments therein. The execution we turned down was a firing squad - we did not want to be part of such a bloody spectacle (which the offender purposefully wanted it to be).

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

16 miles west of the White House, Northern Virginia..
    Just can’t make this stuff up.

I believe that Life in prison is a crueler punishment than death.. just my opinion..

That being said.. document how much $$$ the state paid to transition the prisoner before the ultimate trans ition (timeing like Rocky Horror)..

Just can’t make this stuff up..

Born a male, died thinking he's a female
    On Jan. 1, 2023, McLaughlin submitted her last statement to the DOC: “I am sorry for what I did. I am a loving and caring person.”
    "Her"?...More like "its"...Good riddance, Missouri......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

Somehow, with what is going on in Congress this seems less bizarre

Here's what's especially odd to me about this situation. The inmate was condemned to death. So at the very least the inmate was going to spend the rest of their life in prison. That to me is justification alone not to pay for such a procedure. Secondly, in principle, prisons are sexless institutions. So for those reasons alone it seems to me that this decision was ill advised if not bizarre.
    OPINION....a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by Honda View Post
    Here's what's especially odd to me about this situation. The inmate was condemned to death. So at the very least the inmate was going to spend the rest of their life in prison. That to me is justification alone not to pay for such a procedure. Secondly, in principle, prisons are sexless institutions. So for those reasons alone it seems to me that this decision was ill advised if not bizarre.
    Agree..

People on death row shouldn’t even get dental work, tooth hurts, pull it.. tooth won’t be need soon..

Quote Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
    Agree..

People on death row shouldn’t even get dental work, tooth hurts, pull it.. tooth won’t be need soon..
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

Disagree. We are capable of acting humanely even to people who don't deserve it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
    Disagree. We are capable of acting humanely even to people who don't deserve it.
    Pulling bad teeth as opposed to expensive treatments is a common practice out side of prison. Nothing inhumane about it. No reason not to do it in prison.

There is also no need to begin, or complete, sexual transformations for inmates at the tax payer's expense. There is nothing that makes such a elective surgery inhumane if withheld. The next thing it will be inhumane to withhold tummy tucks, face lifts, lip plumps, etc. Maybe we should do breast enhancements and penis enlargements, too.

Inmates should receive the minimal medical care to sustain their lives at a normal level, but without any electives or premium services.

Taking a tooth is the last option for pain in the mouth, not the first. The implication was that since we plan on killing this person, we don't need to be humane or spend any money on this person. It is getting revenge on the criminal, that's all. Let's show our disgust by ripping teeth out of his mouth, the POS. Heck, by that reasoning, why spend money on Novocaine?

Pain in the tooth is not at all on the same level as sex changes. I'm not convinced by slippery slope arguments about other cosmetic surgery. And that's the difference here. Mouth pain is acute care for physical pain. Sex changes are not.

How we choose to treat others is a mirror to our own souls, not theirs.

Back in the ancient daze an elder relative was ill, a scan for the issue revealed a most serious aortic aneurism.. since the relative was 90yo and in poor health, it was decided not to operate (she died two years later with the aneurysm not being an issue but had she been a healthy fifty year old, she probably would have had corrected surgery..

Pulling an aching tooth of a death row inmate is not cruel.. it’s logical.. death row inmates should not qualify for cataract surgery, joint replacement or hair loss treatment.. just part of the list.

Nutrition balanced meals, warm clothes and a safe place to live.

It is cruel unless there is no other option. You are rationalizing a desire to inflict pain on a despised human being.

It all depends on what is the normal standard of care. There are plenty of dental issues that cause pain but for which the standard treatment is not extraction. Pulling teeth unnecessarily is a short step away from dental torture.