Thread: Prices in Canada

Prices in Canada

Disclaimer. I really know nothing about how the economic system in Canada works. However, a close friend just got back from Canada after visiting her grandchildren over the holidays. We were discussing the trip and I started asking a few questions about costs. She stated that a a liter of gas was $16. She stated a fresh chicken was $39, along with pineapples coming in at $14 and cucumbers at $4. All amounts are in Canadian currency. As I stated at the outset since I don't know anything about how it works in Canada but that's some scary high prices.
    OPINION....a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

After checking the price of gasoline at a couple of THESE SITES, and the price of a whole, raw, chicken at a couple places, I would venture to say that your friend is mistaken. Oh, a whole pineapple is $3.97 at Walmart.ca.
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    After checking the price of gasoline at a couple of THESE SITES, and the price of a whole, raw, chicken at a couple places, I would venture to say that your friend is mistaken. Oh, a whole pineapple is $3.97 at Walmart.ca.
    She may be but she was in a very rural area called Souix Lookout. She would not intentionally lie to me so she just might be mistaken.
    OPINION....a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by Honda View Post
    She may be but she was in a very rural area called Souix Lookout. She would not intentionally lie to me so she just might be mistaken.
    I'm sure Canada has lots of isolated areas that can see price spikes like that, especially in the Winter. Supply and demand, you know.
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

16 miles west of the White House, Northern Virginia..
    I was in Canada every other year or so.. diesel is always more than us, but not outrageous.

A friend was just in Calgary.. Costco still has the $1.50 hotdog lunch.. menus from an upscale sandwich shop had sandwich platters (with fresh crisps) were $12-13.. remember their dollar is $$US0.75.. and they have a killer sales tax ..

On edit.. on the plus’s side.. they have Timmy’s (real Timmy’s).. and Poutine..
    Last edited by Sandman; 01-09-2023 at 09:50 AM.

Overall Canadian prices (with taxes) is a little bit more than the US---but there are exceptions. I always bought my suits in Canada at about 25% less than I would have paid in the US.

Souix Lookout is clearly off the main stream so it could be possible that she saw those prices----but certainly not in Winnipeg or Thunder Bay.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis