Thread: What to do?

What to do?

You are driving at night and are stopped by police. You are told to exit the vehicle with hands in sight. Do you

1) Argue, refuse to obey, demand justification for your treatment or do you
    2) Get out of the vehicle with hands in sight

Let's say you chose the first option. Now, the situation is worse. The officer is now on alert and has drawn a gun. Again, you are ordered out of the vehicle. Do you

1) Continue to refuse, argue, demand justification or
    2) Get out of the vehicle as directed

This is a case that is going to trial tomorrow in Atlanta. The driver, a Black military man, is alleging his civil rights were violated when he was eventually pepper sprayed as he sat in his vehicle after other attempts to force compliance failed.

I say he was a dumb ass for escalating a situation that he could have avoided. At numerous points in the encounter, he chose to make matters worse. He should have done as directed and sorted things out later when, for example, no one was pointing a gun at him.

Flexing by minorities. I'm a big believer in equal treatment for all. I think EVERYONE should comply with a police officer's directions during a stop.

Compliance with the lawful orders of a police officer is necessary for the safety of everyone involved.
    OPINION....a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

16 miles west of the White House, Northern Virginia..
    I believe that you comply.. do not argue but state loudly, for the dash cam, that you are very afraid, under duress and have done nothing wrong.

You don't even really need the dash cam. Most all police officers have cameras on their vest that record video and audio of everything going on. Failure by a police officer to have their cam on is subject to punishment which varies by police department but it's not a slap on the wrist.
    OPINION....a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

Some years ago in Utah there were some assaults of women who were pulled over by phony cops. As a result, the police issued a statement saying that if a woman fearing assault was pulled over she should remain in her car while another officer was called to the scene. I don't recall the issue arising again.

I agree with those saying it's a good idea to comply with an officer's requests. I had two Black friends who were cops. One was in a wheelchair because his brother accidentally shot him in the spine. Anyways, both of the Black men stated they got pulled over for a DWB ("Driving While Black") about once a year. I doubted them until I was with my wheelchair-bound friend when he was pulled over. He was doing nothing illegal at the time. Now, those incidents occurred in the 80s and I can only hope they no longer occur. They shouldn't.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead