Thread: Too quick to condemn

Too quick to condemn

From the NYT this morning, a story about people flexing.

An art historian at a private college wants to include a historically important depiction of the Prophet Muhammad from Persian art of the 13th century. There is no actual prohibition in Islam to depict Muhammad. Some consider it wrong, others questionable, others fine.

The professor goes out of her way to be sensitive. In the syllabus, she warns people this will occur. She discusses it in class that it will occur. On the day it will happen, she gives anyone who might be offended time to leave.

She shows the artwork and a student objects, calls it Islamaphobia, disrespect of her religion and generally causes a big fuss. Big meetings happen on campus where Islamic students claim rampant anti-Islamic bias. College administrators sack the professor.

Academics begin to fight back. Petition drives to support the professor. Discussions of academic freedom. Objection to how a discussion about an important piece of Islamic art is being likened to violence against mosques or harassment of Muslims. Pointing out how this professor bent over backwards to be sensitive and gave numerous warnings.

I'm seeing this more and more on campus - a loud minority blowing up an incident, national types using it to further an agenda, cowardly administrators caring more about appeasing and willing to sacrifice their staff to make the incident go away.

I'm glad I'm not in college these days. Too many people flexing their power as a minority to cause needless ruckus for the sake of asserting power, not solving bona fide issues. And as someone who has taught at a few colleges, I'm glad that I don't have to rely on spineless college administrators anymore.

Higher education sucks.

16 miles west of the White House, Northern Virginia..
    Isn’t it considered blasphemy in certain sects of Jewishness to say God’s Proper name (God the father to Christianity, Alah in Islam). But the rest of the world goes about using names as they wish..

Some rules are best in places with a state religion..

Some educators may suck---higher education does not.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

This educator did nothing wrong, so she certainly doesn't suck.

I'm seeing way too many instances of only allowing certain viewpoints and a kowtowing of administrators to vocal minorities.

With respect, I think your viewpoint is more about the value of higher education in terms of attaining a good paying job. Also, your focus is more about science than, say, art history. I come at this from the point of view of college having a job of turning out well-rounded and clear-thinking young men and women, prepared by a curriculum that teaches them how to think, not what to think. It relied on what used to be called a liberal arts education, exposing students to philosophy, history, religion, art, political theory, etc. With tenured staff free to explore topics that challenge thinking.

More and more, I see reliance on adjunct staff that can be disposed of instead of supported when an instructor challenges his or her students to explore new and maybe uncomfortable ideas.

That may be Kevin---but on a local level we are dealing with a small knot of wackos who are intent on reshaping our schools by demanding books be pulled from the library and significate course materials be either changed or deleted to conform to their highly filtered and narrow view of the world.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Sounds very similar to what I see happening in academia. I think we are agreeing here.

There's also a group of wackos that are intent on adding books to libraries with the intent of shaping young lives well before they're old enough to understand concepts.
    OPINION....a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

"The only thing that we learn from torture is the depths of our own moral depravity"

It appears to me this discussion is about Wokeness. Yet, it's probably impossible do something that is perfectly non-offensive.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

Wokeness is not about sensitivity, it's about tearing things down.
    OPINION....a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

Well, I try to always look on the bright side of life, myself.