Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: McCarthy Loses First 11 Votes!

McCarthy Loses First 11 Votes!

It looks as though McCarthy may have been a bit premature in moving into the Speaker's office. After three votes, he does not have the necessary votes with 20 Republicans voting against him. The House has adjourned until Noon tomorrow.
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

Realty sucks

As santos looks on:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.PNG 
Views:	4 
Size:	405.7 KB 
ID:	39353
    Last edited by Dave Grubb; 01-03-2023 at 07:51 PM.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

It turns out Santos doesn't have a vote because he can't be sworn in until there is a Speaker. Damn the luck!
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    It turns out Santos doesn't have a vote because he can't be sworn in until there is a Speaker. Damn the luck!
    Hey , no problem . He will just say he does not need to be sworn in . He was elected and that is enough to allow him to vote . He [ according to him ] actually has been a Congress critter since the day of the election .
    Individual rights are protected only as long as they don't conflict with the desires of the state .

Quote Originally Posted by Independent Voter View Post
    Hey , no problem . He will just say he does not need to be sworn in . He was elected and that is enough to allow him to vote . He [ according to him ] actually has been a Congress critter since the day of the election .
    I like the way you think!

McCarthy>>>"Pop goes the Weasel"
    "The only thing that we learn from torture is the depths of our own moral depravity"

I read somewhere today that he did vote, but was not sworn in. The claim was that he voted for mccarthy.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

I guess they should relect Nancy. Do the Dems get to vote?
    Fred

"Everyday I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've
    stayed alive."

'Take care of yourself, and each other.'

May he go another 3 for 3 today.
    Fred

"Everyday I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've
    stayed alive."

'Take care of yourself, and each other.'

I have now seen it in multiple places that santos voted three times for maccarthy.

I would be willing to wager that a deal was struck by santos and maccarthy (or his agent) for his vote in exchange for maccarthy ignoring all his warts.

Slim on slim

I can't wait to watch this rino parade try to govern.

16 miles west of the White House, Northern Virginia..
    Was channel flipping yesterday.. one (maybe MSNBC) had a defrocked GOP Congressperson on (received the “rath” after questioning Trump).. anyway he spouted a bunch of bitterness but.. but he pointed out how much organized and professional the Dems are acting in public.. was an interesting point of view, items to ponder.. (a broken clock is correct twice a day)

As much as I dislike maccarthy, politically he is a moderate (depending on the day) compared to the rinos who oppose him. At this point, anyway it goes does not bode well for the country.

I’ll bet that Pelosi has whispered in his ear.. accept her “deal” and receive the votes.. let’s see..

I think mccarthy would have better luck negotiating with the dems than with the rino devils

This from my morning readings:

So, as McCarthy’s bid for speaker bogs down, the question is whether they will accept the extremist Jordan—who is deeply implicated in the January 6, 2021, attempt to overthrow the 2020 presidential election—as speaker, or whether they will work to find a compromise candidate by working either with Democrats or with Republicans who regroup around someone who isn’t Jordan. Former Republican governor of Ohio John Kasich has already called on House Republicans to work with Democrats “to pick a speaker to run a coalition government, which will moderate the House and marginalize the extremists.”
    Buried now in this theater is the reality that the rinos have no agenda for the next two years other than to try to get even with the dems for their Jan 6 Committee exposure. I do have to acknowledge that the rinos did have a few accomplishments yesterday----they forced the metal detectors be taken out (ahh yes kev---that gained you a lot, hey) and many of the narcissistic 20 got on the crazies media---or at least got honorable mention last night, after all---isn't that what this is really about?

One sure sign to know that you have reached a new low is to have matt gaetz as your spokesperson
    Last edited by Dave Grubb; 01-04-2023 at 11:04 AM.

The Defrocked Republican mal-content also pointed out that the GOP legislative agenda has no mention if health care or immigration reform.. its all about who in the Biden family will be investigated in what order..

And I agree.. the releasing of the January 6th committee report has been most interesting (even as political drama, a high percentage fact checks as correct)
    Last edited by Sandman; 01-04-2023 at 01:03 PM.