Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: McCarthy Loses First 11 Votes!

Quote Originally Posted by TriGuy View Post
    I think if the Dems nominated her you could get a few republicans to join the Dems to pull it off and piss off the far left and right
    I'd love to see it happen. Among other problems is she is no longer a member of the House. You don't have to be a member to be Speaker, but it has never happened before. Maybe it's time.
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

There's this one:

Arizona RepublicanKari Lake played a game of make believe when she crowned herself “the duly elected governor” during a call-in to right-wing streaming channel Real America’s Voice this week.
    Fred

"Everyday I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've
    stayed alive."

'Take care of yourself, and each other.'

Quote Originally Posted by FredK View Post
    There's this one:
    What has she to do with the Speaker's race?
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Republican House Members in the Speaker's Election - .....

Democrat House Members in the Speaker's Election - .... ....

The American People Watching - ........

The Rest of the World Watching -
    Award for the best use of emojis I've ever seen!!
    OPINION....a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by Honda View Post
    Award for the best use of emojis I've ever seen!!
    ...Ben

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dancer.gif 
Views:	17 
Size:	349.9 KB 
ID:	39358
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

Very cleaver---and accurate
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

I can't believe how stupid the Dems are being. This is an opportunity for them to pick the person from the opposite team they'd prefer to run the joint and they are so busy acting like children watching a demolition derby to see it. They need to grow up. This is business. Stop making it personal.

It isn't all bad news:

Rep. Matt Gaetz (R-FL) is so committed to opposing Rep. Kevin McCarthy’s flailing House speaker bid that he offered to resign from Congress Thursday night if a faction of Democrats were to vote with Republicans to allow a more “moderate” member of the GOP to take the gavel.
    Now there is a promise worth pursuing
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

That's a win-win, Dave!

I'd buy that for a dollar!

16 miles west of the White House, Northern Virginia..
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
    I can't believe how stupid the Dems are being. This is an opportunity for them to pick the person from the opposite team they'd prefer to run the joint and they are so busy acting like children watching a demolition derby to see it. They need to grow up. This is business. Stop making it personal.
    I think that the Dems have tried to get a moderate Republican on board.. there must be a disadvantage (for the moderate Republican) that we can’t see..

Good enjoy art Mike..

A mal-content TV talking head described the politicking in the Republican cloak room as the Battle for Mayor of Crazytown..

Throughout the day, the allies of Republican leader Kevin McCarthy (CA) negotiated with the 20 extremists who refuse to back him, apparently offering them more and more power to win their votes. McCarthy has allegedly agreed to their demand that a single person can force a vote to get rid of the speaker, a demand that puts him at their mercy and that he had previously insisted he would never accept. He has also apparently offered members of the hard-right Freedom Caucus two spots on the House Rules Committee, which decides how measures will be presented to the House, and given them control over appropriations bills. He is also said to be considering letting them choose committee chairs, jumping over those with seniority.
    Giving these crazies that kind of power is akin to giving a 2 year old an endless supply of candy. That would render the House closed for the next two years.

The only thing coming out of Dem's mouths has been contempt for how stupid Republicans look, not saying they are willing to work with Republicans. When asked specifically about working to find a compromise candidate, Jeffries replied that this is on them, the Republicans, and the Dems had zero interest in helping them out of a mess they created.

In other words, laughing and pointing is their plan. Stupid children are what we have guiding our nation at this point.

The Dems could actually help end this passively simply by not all showing up for the votes---which would lower the necessary votes to gain the gavel.

If their mission was to rub the rinos noses in chit---they did that, now they are overplaying their hand.

It's time to change tactics:

Lawyer and Washington Post columnist George Conway wrote, “I’m no political scientist, but it does strike me that a guy who negotiates by giving stuff up and and getting nothing in return probably wouldn’t make a good leader of a legislative body.”
    If McCarthy does eventually win the speakership, he will have empowered a small group of extremists to control the House, and the next two years will be a constant fight as this tiny minority can hamstring the government. One of the extremists, Ralph Norman (R-SC), who wanted Trump to declare martial law in 2021 in order to retain the White House, said that McCarthy will get his vote only if he agrees not to raise the debt ceiling and will instead shut down the government and default on the national debt.
    These crazies seem to have zero understanding that there are things that the House has to do to maintain the necessary functions of Government----mccarthy is handing the reins to a bunch of people that are simply not grounded in reality.

Right, and if the Dems help by simply agreeing to not show up, they can negate all the crap McCarthy has promised to the Rump Caucus in exchange for debt ceiling, investigations, all the things they don't want to see happen. And the rest of us, the people they are supposed to be representing, get good government.

But only if they stop acting like children and start acting like they actually care about doing the work of government.