Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: McCarthy Loses First 11 Votes!

Quote Originally Posted by Honda View Post
    I've been following this thread with interest. I'm a little confused. It seems that some are reveling in the fact that McCarthy can't be elected speaker. However, those that are opposing him are the extreme right of the Republican party. Myself I'm in general disagreement with those on the extreme right including the freedom caucus. So why would it not be a good thing to have a mostly moderate speaker of the house? I guess it could be that those who are Democrats are enjoying the spectacle of the GOPs dysfunction. I can understand that. Maybe I can be enlightened.
    A mostly moderate speaker would be a good thing if that person had character, which McCarthy does not. McCarthy is/was Trump's lap puppy, helped further the Big Lie and denier of the January 6th insurrection. I doubt there is an honest bone in his body. He is and has been all about promoting himself over the good of the country.
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

16 miles west of the White House, Northern Virginia..
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    A mostly moderate speaker would be a good thing if that person had character, which McCarthy does not. McCarthy is/was Trump's lap puppy, helped further the Big Lie and denier of the January 6th insurrection. I doubt there is an honest bone in his body. He is and has been all about promoting himself over the good of the country.
    What Mike said..

Cheaters never prosper, neener, neener..

Point well taken. I know that character is a rare attribute in politicians. Looking around for one with character might be a steep road. As I think all of us know we have been settling for politicians that are less desirable for years. I have a hunch, it's just a hunch, that many of those like McCarthy and others who were all in the bed with Trump are looking for a way to distance themselves from him. At least I can be hopeful.
    OPINION....a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

Five down and counting----with the score remaining at 20---agen

Mike's response pretty well sums up where I am----personally the guy is a weasel---and character still matters for me.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
    What Mike said..

Cheaters never prosper, neener, neener..
    I would say pelosi and her husband did pretty well prospering during her term in Congress and as speaker.
    OPINION....a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

Here we go again - another vote with the same candidates.

[on edit]

And McCarthy loses again. Who woulda thunk it?
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

Here we go again - another vote with the same candidates.

[on edit]

And McCarthy loses again. Who woulda thunk it?
    He needs to give in or give up. This has gone on long enough they need to get to doing the business of the people.

From the Hill:

Fox News contributor and former George W. Bush aide Karl Rove says House Republicans’ infighting over who should be the next Speaker is a complete “disaster.”

Rove told Fox News’s Sandra Smith on Tuesday that the conservative opponents to House Republican Leader Kevin McCarthy (Calif.) have “moved the goal posts” in the demands that he must meet to win their support for him claiming the Speakership.

“This is an utter, unmitigated disaster. Chaos tends to bring about chaos until it no longer brings about chaos,” Rove said. “We’re a long way from the point at which chaos stops bringing around more chaos.”

He said McCarthy made key concessions on two points to his opponents ahead of the first Speaker vote on Tuesday, agreeing to allow a motion to oust the Speaker with support from five House Republicans and create a select subcommittee on the “Weaponization of the Federal Government.” But he said the opponents changed their terms after McCarthy agreed.

Rove said they wanted Rep. Scott Perry (R-Pa.), one of those opposed to McCarthy, to become the chair of that subcommittee and for Perry to be able to choose who the members are, which could exceed the Speaker’s authority.

“And what was interesting was after McCarthy had conceded on their two big issues, they came up with a whole bunch of other demands,” he said.

The House was unable to select a Speaker on the first ballot for the first time in a century Tuesday and adjourned after failing to elect one after three ballots. On the third, 20 Republicans voted for someone other than McCarthy, the official Republican nominee, preventing him from winning the necessary 218 votes he needs.
    These clowns need to read something other than comic books:

“Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.”
    Albert Einstein
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

When are Republicans going to learn that Democrats stick together for better or for worse. During this recess they need to figure something out and stop this shi!t show.

Any takers on the thought that there have been many phone calls to Florida since the 2nd loss . Whether to Mar A Largo or the Gov. Mansion I cannot guess .
    Individual rights are protected only as long as they don't conflict with the desires of the state .

During the Newt Gingrich years, Dems had the same observation about Republicans. It is interesting to see how roles have changed. In the 1970s, it was a common joke that a Democratic firing squad was a circle. I think that being in the minority has a lot to do with party unity. Last term, Manchin and Sinema were mavericks. Now Sinema is helping Schumer break logjams. Times change.

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different outcome.
    "The only thing that we learn from torture is the depths of our own moral depravity"

16 miles west of the White House, Northern Virginia..
    Quote Originally Posted by Honda View Post
    I would say pelosi and her husband did pretty well prospering during her term in Congress and as speaker.
    My comment refers to McCarthy condemning January 6 insurgents, on January 6 & 7 when he was scared.. but then sucking up to Trump and attempting to derail the January 6th investigation when he wasn’t scared anymore..

Oh.. Nancy Pelosi is ruthless.. she learned from her dad.. “Big Tommy” ran Baltimore..

But what did her husband do? Besides get attacked with a hammer?

It just occurred to me-----poor george might not know they took a break and is still hiding out in the rino cloak closet-----darn---the poor boy is going to get hungry

Quote Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
    But what did her husband do? Besides get attacked with a hammer?
    Got rich(er) riding her coattails......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...