Thread: George Santos’ Terrible Month Gets Worse as Brazil Resurrects Fraud Case: NYT

George Santos’ Terrible Month Gets Worse as Brazil Resurrects Fraud Case: NYT

Maybe it wasn't such a good idea to run for Congress, after all. Brazilian fraud charges against George Santos—the U.S. representative-elect accused of fabricating just about every element of his backstory—will be resurrected now that authorities have confirmed his location, according to The New York Times. In 2008, when he was just 19 years old, Santos allegedly bought almost $700 in merchandise at a store in Brazil “using a stolen checkbook and a false name.” Prosecutors pursued a fraud case, but it was halted after he left for the United States and local authorities weren't able to find him. With his swearing-in scheduled for Tuesday, that will no longer be an issue.
    Sure, he was just a kid back then will be the excuse.......???????
    Fred

"Everyday I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've
    stayed alive."

'Take care of yourself, and each other.'

As is happening more often in our world, stupid, careless voters elected a stupid, careless crook......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

I seriously doubt that we will extridite to Brazil over a $700 theft.
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

Quote Originally Posted by Truckman View Post
    As is happening more often in our world, stupid, careless voters elected a stupid, careless crook......Ben
    I'm not sure how responsible the voters are in this case. For reasons that I don't understand, this story was floated prior to the election but failed to gain traction until the extensive NYT story following the election.

The real measure of the outcome of this will be in how all the powers that be respond to it. The fact that the wanna be speaker has said nary a word (a vote is more important than ethical conduct) does not bode well for Congress.

I do believe that with all this sicky has done he has to have lied on election forms that he was required to sign.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

16 miles west of the White House, Northern Virginia..
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    I seriously doubt that we will extridite to Brazil over a $700 theft.
    Agree..

Another “head shake” added as we say “just can’t make this stuff up”..

But the standing charge may be a PITA.. fighting it here is a PITA, even when he wins.. having a world wide warrant posted with the world wide warrant people could be something that one “just didn’t want to deal with”.. may be prudent to restrict foreign travel..

Santos is now a member of Congress-not

I walked into the room where my wife was watching the voting for speaker---between ballots, and there was one shot of santos sitting (while most members were on their feet and mingling)----santos was all alone---just taking up space

He can't be sworn in until they have a speaker---and old kevin ain't doing very well at the moment

Looks like I wasn't the only one who noticed
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.PNG 
Views:	15 
Size:	405.7 KB 
ID:	39352  

Last edited by Dave Grubb; 01-03-2023 at 04:46 PM.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

This story just gets weirder, and even weirder...
    The photo comes from Santos’ old friend Eula Rochard, a Brazilian drag queen who spoke with journalist Marisa Kabas. According to their conversation, Rochard met Santos when he was a teenager, and they bonded over both being gay and enjoying drag.
    ...Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

I ain't as if Congress needs another embarrassment, but spinless unprincipled mccarthy needs his vote.

Performing as a Drag Queen is probably one of the few legitimate things he has done in his life
    "The only thing that we learn from torture is the depths of our own moral depravity"

I hope my friends can see it fit to overlook my Drag Queen days. You know, that whole Prissila Queen of the Desert stuff was peaking and I got caught up in it.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

Quote Originally Posted by UTAH View Post
    I hope my friends can see it fit to overlook my Drag Queen days. You know, that whole Prissila Queen of the Desert stuff was peaking and I got caught up in it.

Hunter
    I loved that movie. so off the wall yet convincing
    "The only thing that we learn from torture is the depths of our own moral depravity"