Thread: On the way to a bit of heaven

On the way to a bit of heaven

I just put 6 lbs of sauerkraut and a 10.7 lb pork shoulder roast in the oven----to get the new year off to a respectable start. It was a tight fit in my Dutch oven

I seared the roast on all sides first----not an easy job

In the sauerkraut are caraway seeds and about 1/4 C of heavy cream which takes the edge off the kraut
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

...and for the one guest who is not as excited about sauerkraut as I am:

Brussels Sprouts Gratin
    ALISON ROMAN

• YIELD6 servings

• TIME35 to 45 minutes

Karsten Moran for The New York Times
    The most indulgent way to eat any vegetable is to bathe it in cream and top it with cheese, but few benefit from that treatment as much as brussels sprouts do. Whether or not you decide to top them with crispy bread crumbs (you should), the end result is a decadent, but never too heavy, side dish that could easily become your main course.

INGREDIENTS
    • 1 ½ pounds brussels sprouts, ends trimmed and halved lengthwise
    • 2 large shallots, peeled and quartered lengthwise
    • 2 cloves garlic, peeled and thinly sliced
    • 5 tablespoons olive oil
    • Kosher salt and black pepper
    • 1 ½ cups coarse bread crumbs or panko
    • ¾ cup heavy cream
    • 1 cup grated Gruyère (about 3 ounces)
    PREPARATION
    1. Heat oven to 425 degrees.
    2. Toss together brussels sprouts, shallots, garlic and 2 tablespoons olive oil in a 9-by-13-inch baking dish. Season with salt and pepper and roast, tossing occasionally until sprouts are bright green and just tender (think al dente), 12 to 15 minutes.
    3. Meanwhile, combine bread crumbs with remaining 3 tablespoons olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
    4. Pour cream and scatter Gruyère over sprouts and toss to coat. Continue to roast until cream is reduced by about half and sprouts are beginning to brown, another 12 to 15 minutes.
    5. Scatter bread crumbs over sprouts and return to oven until golden brown and crisp, 5 to 8 minutes. Let sit 1 to 2 minutes at room temperature before serving.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	35.3 KB 
ID:	39346
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

When living in Cameron Park CA, we had a German couple in a house next to ours. At the time, I thought sauerkraut was awful. Yet, as an adult, it's delicious.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead