Thread: Lots of Old Motor Vehicle Videos

Lots of Old Motor Vehicle Videos

I am posting a direct link to a 1940's Era Farm Tractor that starts using a blank shotgun shell. It is not the first engine I've seen using this method, but it is the first farm tractor I've seen, the first being an aircraft in the 1965 film Flight of the Phoenix.

Here is the link to Les Leston's TikTok page with a bunch of other cool old vehicles of various sorts, mostly race cars.
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

Bigger engines start that way too...Below is a simulated nuclear attack in which a Boeing B-52H is cart started for a fast response to an incoming threat...After one paired engine is started, the other engine can be started from it...My wing also used cartridges to release bombs and other ordnance from our tactical bombers...The cartridges are electrically primed, and the scary part for me was having to insure the circuit was complete by passing an electrical current through them with an ohmmeter after loading the ordnance and torqueing in the cartridges, but before connecting them to the 24 volt DC power source......Ben

The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    ...an aircraft in the 1965 film Flight of the Phoenix.
    Yes, after all these years that's a tech moment from the film I remember. It's one of the highest suspense moments for all.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

Here is more information on the "Coffman Engine Starter".

Lantz likely produced more tractors with this starter than anyone else.

My brother did have a single cylinder diesel, I think it was a Fairbanks Morse, with this type starter on it.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

"A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Grubb View Post
    "not started since it was grounded in the late 40s". And then it starts on the first try? Wow!
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

"not started since it was grounded in the late 40s". And then it starts on the first try? Wow!
    I kind of ignored that part

Doubtful......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

Quote Originally Posted by Truckman View Post
    Doubtful......Ben
    I totally agree.