Mama Kimchi that is

My gastrointestinal metagenome loves ya mama

Kimchi is a bit like sauerkraut on steroids

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.PNG 
Views:	11 
Size:	39.7 KB 
ID:	39295

Oh---and if you are wondering how long it takes to eat 8 lbs of kimchi----it doesn't matter. It's already "spoiled"---it's like fine wine, it gets better with age
    Last edited by Dave Grubb; 12-06-2022 at 11:18 AM.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

I wonder what a kimchi Reuben would taste like?
    "The only thing that we learn from torture is the depths of our own moral depravity"

Never thought of that----but I just found a corned beef brisket in the freezer this morning----I'm feeling a trial coming on
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Go for it and let me know.
    "The only thing that we learn from torture is the depths of our own moral depravity"

Will do

My first experience with Kimchi was at a Walgreens store in San Jose. An older Philipino lady gave me a mason jar of it she had made. It took me a few discussions with her to understand what it was. But, I did enjoy eating it.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

Quote Originally Posted by UTAH View Post
    My first experience with Kimchi was at a Walgreens store in San Jose. An older Philipino lady gave me a mason jar of it she had made. It took me a few discussions with her to understand what it was. But, I did enjoy eating it.

Hunter
    This brings all sorts of questions. Why would a Filipino lady offer you a jar of Kimchi at a drug store? Why would you accept a jar of rotten cabbage from a Filipino lady at a drug store? Why would you eat some unknown rotten substance given to you by an unknown Filipino woman at a drug store? The list goes on..............
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    This brings all sorts of questions. Why would a Filipino lady offer you a jar of Kimchi at a drug store? Why would you accept a jar of rotten cabbage from a Filipino lady at a drug store? Why would you eat some unknown rotten substance given to you by an unknown Filipino woman at a drug store? The list goes on..............
    Thrillseeker Mike, Thrillseeker

Mike, I take exception to your characterization of kimchi as "rotten"---it is NOT rotten sir, it is fermented-----as is beer, fine wine, whiskey (including Rye) and many cheeses and endless other fermented foods.

I will concede that to the uninitiated nose it could seem that way
    Last edited by Dave Grubb; 12-08-2022 at 10:56 AM.

My order is here!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	kimchi.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	110.7 KB 
ID:	39297

I can feel dem little guys in my gut jumping up and down at the thought of getting company

I forgot to mention, sitting in front of the kimchi is a harvest from my mushroom (Lion's Mane) farm
    Last edited by Dave Grubb; 12-08-2022 at 10:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Grubb View Post
    Mike, I take exception to your characterization of kimchi as "rotten"---it is NOT rotten sir, it is fermented-----as is beer, fine wine, many cheeses and endless other fermented foods.

I will concede that to the uninitiated nose it could seem that way
    Same thing, Dave:

Both terms refer to the same realm of biological processes, in which microorganisms transform food. Interestingly, unlike most cooking procedures, the transformations happen whether or not we initiate them. Unless foodstuffs are specially preserved, bacteria, molds, and yeasts will spontaneously seize the opportunity to digest their sugars, fats, and proteins, creating a wild array of new compounds. When we like the results of the transformation, we call it fermentation; when we don’t, we call it rotting.
    Difference Between Fermentation and Rotting
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

I prefer to use the term fermentation---it is far more "civil" than the alternative.

Next time you have pizza or sour dough bread just think of it as rotted----nah---not a good idea

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Grubb View Post
    I prefer to use the term fermentation---it is far more "civil" than the alternative.......
    I agree, however, in the context where I used it, I think "rotten" was appropriate considering being handed a jar of some unknown naturally processed substance by an unknown person.

I'm just funnin you---I eat rotten chit all the time

Added in edit: My dear friend who is into fermentation as much as I am prefers to call it "controlled spoilage"

She makes a lot of good chit via "controlled spoilage"---including what I regard as the best sauerkraut anywhere
    Last edited by Dave Grubb; 12-08-2022 at 04:34 PM.

Ahhh... I see where we're headed.

I worked with her at my Father's Walgreens store. I was in High School and she was about 60 with maternal instincts.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead