Thread: The girls

The girls

I hesitated to share this but here goes

Thursday night I had a meeting which was followed by a dinner. The dinner was at a golf course/restaurant which is across the road from one of my fields--so we are neighbors on different roads. Shortly after leaving a little past nine, a herd of deer crossed the road in front of me, into my field. The next field will bring them to the barn. As I waited for them to cross I said (to myself), "you girls should not be out running around this late---you need to get home".

From that point it is 0.6 miles on the road---about 400 yards through the field. As I pulled in at home, my headlights swept the field below the barn---the girls got home before me

I wonder if they thought I should not be out that late
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Why would you hesitate? Cool story!
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Why would you hesitate? Cool story!
    I'm sure some will think that imaginary parental counseling of wild animals a bit strange----but at my age---so what
    Last edited by Dave Grubb; 12-04-2022 at 10:59 AM.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

16 miles west of the White House, Northern Virginia..
    Widening of I-66 (now 12 lanes) has disrupted the deer traveling under it (used to be a huge stream bed in a pipe).. but we have Fox.. the kits still can’t jump the fence, won’t be long, but the adults can clear a 5 or 6 foot fence like a speed bump..

Buy them some feed corn when it snows..

They have plenty of quality feed here---all winter long. I stop mowing the field below the barn about a month before expected frost, that assures an entire field of 6" +/- grass is available for them. Even in the midst of winter that dry grass has a pretty good protein content, much better than browse. That also helps to keep them away from the shrubs---which only become targets if we have a heavy snow cover. Our hired man does feed corn on occasion. I can always tell when he is out with the corn bucket---the deer literally run at a fast "trot" toward his house.

16 miles west of the White House, Northern Virginia..
    I had about a thimble of peanut butter left from bailing mouse traps.. placed peanut butter on top rail of fence, known squirrel freeway.. you should see the squirrel when the PB is discovered.. wowzers, they try and lick the galvanizing off of the rail!

I feed the birds in med winter..

I finally found a place under my porch for the birdfeeder I was given...The birds can still get to it, although the crows can't seem to figure it out (and that's good)...The tree rats have to settle for what the birds spill while dining...I can't feed the world, but I don't mind the little birdies chowing down at my expense......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

The birds and I thank you guys

I am not an equal opportunity feeder----the birds can eat all they want---but I have been known to "discourage" squirrels on occasions.

At the cottage I created my own bear problem because they became habituated into stopping by at night and cleaning up the "trash".

We had a flock of turkeys early last spring to clean up the seed those messy chickadees left. I regularly discouraged squirrels and raccoons. Then the bears came out of hibernation, beat the crap out of our bird feeders three nights running and that was the end of our bird feeding until about now, when they den up for the winter.

Here is one of my clean-up crew being a pain in the butt

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.jpeg 
Views:	23 
Size:	442.3 KB 
ID:	39290