Thread: Goodbye, Fox News

Goodbye, Fox News

I have spent many years viewing Fox News on the internet, along with CNN and several other news sources. I like to get a variety of views from all of these biased sources and formulate my own biased opinion. However, today I find that Fox News has become ad-walled, just like a pay-walled site but with advertising being the currency. If I don't allow their ads, they withhold their content. So, farewell, Fox News!

Before I get reminded that Fox News and other internet entities require income to remain in business, I will readily concede that point. But, just like any other business I patronize, I choose how much I am willing to spend. In this case, I choose nothing - I don't much like their site anyway, it was merely convenient.
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    I have spent many years viewing Fox News on the internet, along with CNN and several other news sources. I like to get a variety of views from all of these biased sources and formulate my own biased opinion.
    That's funny I do the exact same thing!
    OPINION....a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

I did the same thing with them when they started that, along with all the other outlets with a paywall...I paid local delivered newspapers many years, and don't even do that anymore...If all anyone has is biased reporting, I'll read the biased reporting from those who don't demand pre-payment......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

I am willing to pay for my "printed" news---but there is none of that crowd that I would pay to watch.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

16 miles west of the White House, Northern Virginia..
    I look at Fox with an iPad.. ads everywhere..

CNN makes you watch ads, as does YouTube..

AP is still free..

Quote Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
    I look at Fox with an iPad.. ads everywhere..

CNN makes you watch ads, as does YouTube..

AP is still free..
    I never see the the ads on any of those...Of course I use AdBlock and AdBlock Plus...Oddly enough, I can still see Fox News uploads on YouTube, with no ads ever...I use the Google news aggregator with no ads, but increasingly their sources have paywalls, which I remove from sight...It's enough that I pay for internet......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

I use the major news outlets as a guide to which stories I want to read, then pull up the story itself on Bing to avoid the network steering me to what it wants me to see. Yeah, it's another step or two to get the news, but I can easily compare sources and their depth.

For example, the Drudge Report is a good source for headlines. Entering key elements of a Drudge headline allows me to compare results to determine what's really going on rather than only seeing Drudge's selection. British Mail is a good start too, but they often focus too much on extremism rather than rationality. Again, a quick comparison shows that.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

Not to kick Fox when they are down but they might need that revenue. Their 1.6 billion lawsuit seems not to be going particularly good for the home team:

Although the law leans in the media’s favor in defamation cases, Dominion has what independent observers have said is an unusually strong case. Day after day, Fox hosts and guests repeated untrue stories about Dominion’s ties to communist regimes and far-fetched theories about how its software enabled enemies of the former president to steal his votes.

“This is a very different kind of case,” said David A. Logan, dean of the Roger Williams School of Law, who has argued in favor of loosening some libel laws. “Rarely do cases turn on a weekslong pattern of inflammatory, provably false, but also oddly inconsistent statements.”

Dominion, in its quest to obtain the private communications of as many low-, mid- and high-level Fox personnel as possible, hopes to prove that people inside the network knew they were disseminating lies. Fox hopes to be able sow doubt about that by showing how its hosts pressed Trump allies for evidence they never produced and that Dominion machines were vulnerable to hacking, even if no hacking took place.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis