Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Server Upgrade

Server Upgrade

Hello All:

Our current server has reached operating software EOL which forces us to move to a new server sometime over the next several days or weeks. I am having the hosting vendor do the migration because I'm getting rusty not doing much in the way of server management anymore, and I want to get this done with minimal problems. They will let me know when they schedule the move, and I will let you know when to expect a short downtime, probably just 3-4 hours.

Mike
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

Cool, I won't worry......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

Excellent
    "The only thing that we learn from torture is the depths of our own moral depravity"

Thanks Mike for all you do to keep the site operating.
    OPINION....a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

Looked up software EOL - an interesting and potentially crippling concept.

Thank you for taking on this issue, Mike.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

Thanks Boss
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

What Mike is not saying is that he is installing an Cray/HPE that he will be using to assist the UC Berkeley SETI program. The Cracker Barrel website is actually being beamed into space as SETI tries to establish first contact. Be on your best behavior, folks. Not only this world is watching...

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
    The Cracker Barrel website is actually being beamed into space as SETI tries to establish first contact. Be on your best behavior, folks. Not only this world is watching...
    I should probably change my socks...No, it's not Wednesday yet......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

We are shut down to new posts while the database is being moved to the new server.
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

Sorry for the downtime. Godaddy seems to have fubared this move. If I understand it correctly, they didn't finish moving the database and went home for the weekend.

Ok, folks, after an incredible journey down the hole and through the mirror, we are back! (I think!)

I hired the hosting company to make this move to the new server in order to avoid the downtime we just experienced. Unfortunately, it didn't work as planned and after many phone calls which got me nowhere, I fired the movers yesterday evening and took on the project myself. It was a straightforward move that should have resulted in maybe a couple of hours of downtime. I had to re-learn some Linux because I have not really used it in a looong time and it took me about a day to accomplish the move. Most of that time was trying to figure out what the hosting company had done and work with it rather than starting from scratch. Once I figured that out and made some server configuration changes it only took about 2 hours to transfer a fresh copy of the database, and another half hour to install it. Hopefully it all works properly. Y'all are the testers so let me know in this thread if you find something broken that wasn't already broken. I still need to do a few tweaks here and there but I don't think it will affect the usability of the site. Enjoy!

Some of us have been champing at the bit...Thanks Mike......Ben

Mike hits and scores.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

You the man Boss
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

hokie smokes! it's back !!
    it's time to change the air in my head