Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Eggs

Eggs

I just found an old receipt in my coat pocket from February 2022. It is from the same store as I shopped at yesterday. Since I buy eggs every week I checked the prices. Last February jumbo eggs were $2.49, yesterday $5.79 a 132% increase

I do know that there is a serious disruption in the poultry industry due to avain flue:

The U.S. is enduring an unprecedented poultry health disaster, with a highly contagious bird flu virus triggering the deaths of some 52.7 million animals.

The culprit is highly pathogenic avian influenza, or HPAI. It has ravaged farm flocks and chicken yards in 46 states since February, when the first cases were reported in commercial flocks.

It's the worst toll on the poultry industry since 2014-2015, when more than 50 million birds died. That earlier outbreak also started in the winter — but while that ordeal was over by the following June, the current outbreak lasted through the summer and has surged anew.
    How much is inflation and how much sick chickens I have no idea----but I hope they get better soon

As a side note---I went to a meeting last night and it has turned cold here---I wore a winter coat for the first time since last winter.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

TO add to your side note . It is only going to get to 70 deg. here today .
    Individual rights are protected only as long as they don't conflict with the desires of the state .

Quote Originally Posted by Independent Voter View Post
    TO add to your side note . It is only going to get to 70 deg. here today .
    Check back next summer
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

16 miles west of the White House, Northern Virginia..
    This weeks large eggs are up to $2.74 doz.. waiting until next week, seeing if they come down..

I'm lucky when it comes to eggs. My sister furnishes me with nice large brown eggs from her backyard chickens.
    OPINION....a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

Large eggs are over$3.00 dozen today..

I always buy extra large grade A, package of 18...They were $5.06 today...That's almost twice last year's price......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

I have 12 girls that lay eggs everyday..
    Can not stand store brought eggs anymore after eating them from home.
    07HEMI4ME

A Friend Will Help You Move, But a Real Good Friend Will Help You Move a Body... He will not ask why you are digging the hole or what is in the bag.

I don't notice the price of eggs because for years I have purchased pasture raised eggs which come at a premium at the grocery store. A few cent per egg really doesn't affect my budget. I just don't want to condemn a chicken to a tiny cage or extremely confined pen for life just so I can have eggs. To me that is inhumane. Once I get done with driving back and forth to Houston all the damn time I will probably get my own birds and let them have the run of the place. Away from the house, of course! They do make a mess.
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

I just saw a great set-up for free range chickens. The chicken coop was built on a farm wagon which in turn was inside a fence. As needed the fence and the wagon can move to a fresh spot.

As a kid all of our layers were in "hen houses" (no cages) but broilers were raised in range houses. They were about 8' x 12' and built on skids. We would move them as needed. They had wire floors so cleaning wasn't an issue. During the day they were outside doing what chickens do, in the evening we would put them in and close the doors to foil the foxes. They actually went in on their own, there were roosts inside.
    Last edited by Dave Grubb; 12-07-2022 at 09:00 PM.

That sounds like a chicken tractor, Dave.
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Grubb View Post
    I just saw a great set-up for free range chickens. The chicken coop was built on a farm wagon which in turn was inside a fence. As needed the fence and the wagon can move to a fresh spot.
    I saw that set up.. using an old econoline van.. had a wooden ramp (old board) up to an open back door

Quote Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
    I saw that set up.. using an old econoline van.. had a wooden ramp (old board) up to an open back door
    My Grandmama repurposed an old Studebaker 2 door sedan that one of my uncles could no longer afford to fix...We called it a chicken coupe......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

We called it a chicken coupe......Ben

I've been following this thread and I do recall eating eggs from our neighbor's chickens. We'd occasionally find blood spots in the eggs cause they weren't put through a candling process. I'm betting most customers nowadays go their whole life not seeing one of those.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead