Thread: Court of appeals nixes special master

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Court of appeals nixes special master

The three-judge panel of the 11th US Circuit Court of Appeals reversed US District Judge Aileen Cannon’s order appointing a so-called special master to sort through thousands of documents found at Trump’s home to determine what should be off limits to investigators. The court said the judge should not have intervened in the first place
    “The law is clear,” the appeals court wrote. “We cannot write a rule that allows any subject of a search warrant to block government investigations after the execution of the warrant. Nor can we write a rule that allows only former presidents to do so.”
    The 11th Circuit said that either approach would be a “radical reordering of our caselaw limiting the federal courts’ involvement in criminal investigations” and that “both would violate bedrock separation-of-powers limitations.”

https://www.cnn.com/2022/12/01/polit...ter/index.html

READ: Appeals court ruling halting special master review of Mar-a-Lago documents
    "The only thing that we learn from torture is the depths of our own moral depravity"

Asking for a special master in this case was disingenuous from the beginning. In my experience it was nothing more than a delaying tactic.
    OPINION....a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

I'm sticking with bimbo.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

I first heard the term "bimbo" in 1971. It was being applied to my mother.

She was a school teacher at that time. She loved sewing and making her own clothes. In the 1960s, she had McCall's and Butterick and all sorts of patterns to make dresses but in the 1970s, pantsuits for women were just becoming popular and my Mom was a fairly stylish lady! She made a lovely pantsuit for herself and wore it to teach school. The school board was scandalized and technically, she was in violation of the school dress code which mandated that women wear dresses only, with a minimum length of mid-shin. It became a real issue when the parents got involved and in a public meeting about the dress code, she was called a bimbo by an angry parent. She left in tears. I learned that when people disagree with women, they often reach for personal insult to put them in their place and those terms are often sexual in nature. That pattern is misogyny in action.

My next contact with this word came the following year, 1972. It was applied to my sister, who was 13 years old. In 1972, Title IX was passed that prohibited discrimination by sex in educational programs. My sister did not want to take Home Economics. She wanted to take wood shop. She was the very first young woman to do this at our school and she got called this by a number of parents who figured that she was of loose morals and trying to chase boys. The lesson was reinforced that when women challenge power or do things that people disagree with, it is common to make the disagreement personal and sexual.

So I have a personal history with this word and I will say that I will call out misogyny when I see it no matter who it is, even a friend of nearly 20 years. Silence is complicity. In the past few years, I've heard unbelievably racist and bigoted remarks from people that I never would have imagined harbored those ideas and I've been forced to make a choice between standing up for what I believe is right or being silent. Silence gives license.

Judge Cannon's legal opinion was deemed incorrect by three people further up the line. She got overruled. Just like LOTS of judges over the years. Notably, it is her legal opinion that is at issue, not her personally. She is not a bimbo or a **** or a bitch or a twat. She's just wrong on the law. That's all.

And I also think that the need to put a woman in her place with a term that brings sex into what is a difference of opinion is misogyny in another form and I call it out when it happens. Even if it means destroying a friendship of 20 years. My Mom and my sister deserved better and so does Judge Cannon, even if I disagree with her on the merits of her legal opinion.

I won't hold your opinion against you Kevin
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

16 miles west of the White House, Northern Virginia..
    Kevin, your mom and sister should never have been treated that way, people (otherwise nice people) can be so thoughtless when there is a difference of opinion.

One of the world’s largest bakers is Pan (bread) Bimbo (beem-bow) .. has a cute bear logo.. the wonder bread and hostess cup cakes of Spain..