Thread: Meanwhile in PA the madness continues

Meanwhile in PA the madness continues

After avoiding a madman in the Governor's chair and a carpetbagger in the Senate we have this foolishness:

A wave of recount petitions that claim without evidence that fraud occurred in Pennsylvania's 2022 election is inundating counties and delaying the state's certification of results, Spotlight PA and Votebeat report.

According to a spokesperson for the state's court system, 147 petitions were filed in 41 counties as of Thursday morning, most targeting the races for governor and U.S. Senate, both of which were won by Democrats.

That has delayed certification in at least three counties — Berks, Bucks, and Columbia — which has delayed state-level certification as well.

Read the full report: Unprecedented number of recount requests delay election certification in at least 3 Pa. counties.

THE CONTEXT: An obscure section of state law allows recount petitions to be easily filed, and right-wing groups appear to be exploiting that provision to an unprecedented degree this year, Spotlight PA and Votebeat found.

The petition drive appears to be an effort of Audit the Vote PA and other groups that have promoted baseless conspiracy theories about elections here. Audit the Vote's co-founder and CEO Toni Shuppe was closely allied with Republican gubernatorial candidate Doug Mastriano.

State Sen. Ryan Aument (R., Lancaster), who won his May primary against an Audit the Vote-backed challenger, prompting an Audit the Vote-backed recount push, said Wednesday that a legislative solution might be needed.

"If the law continues to be abused this way, I think we need a legislative change to safeguard taxpayer dollars and ensure election workers aren’t wasting their time administering hand recounts of elections for which there is no evidence that any malfeasance occurred," Aument said.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

If the Pennsylvania State Legislature acts, the assumption is the issue will be resolved. I am not so sure about it. Voter groups there should keep a good eye on this one to ensure the fix is better than the original problem.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

Well the last holdout county finally turn in their certify count to the state. Came after it was sued though.
    Fred

"Everyday I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've
    stayed alive."

'Take care of yourself, and each other.'

16 miles west of the White House, Northern Virginia..
    Virginia has recounts automatically, publicly funded, if the win/loss is below a certain percentage, very close.. a recount may also be requested if the win/loss percentage is close but not as close as the automatic recount, the person requesting the recount must post a bond to pay for the recount, if the election results do not change the bond is forfeited.