Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Very impressive...

Very impressive...

I've seen a number of MITO "elephant walks" involving B-52's, but this is the first I've seen featuring B-2's...
    The US Air Force currently operates only 20 B-2s; thus, the eight aircraft that took part in the elephant walk and follow-up fly-off account for 40% of all B-2s currently in service.
    It can be noted that the pic in the link above shows preparedness for MITO with the B-2's although the video below does not show the actual practice...

...Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

That's very impressive. Ben don't they have some brand new model of that plane coming off to be maybe announced this week?
    OPINION....a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by Honda View Post
    That's very impressive. Ben don't they have some brand new model of that plane coming off to be maybe announced this week?
    Tom, you may be thinking of the Northrop-Grumman B-21 scheduled to debut tomorrow......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

Scary thought , the B-21 will be a HUGE drone with devastating weapon load out.

At least I have read it will be pilotless capable. Guess we will find out before long .
    Individual rights are protected only as long as they don't conflict with the desires of the state .

Quote Originally Posted by Independent Voter View Post
    I have read it will be pilotless capable. Guess we will find out before long .
    I saw that...Also scary to me is the thought of fewer capable and experienced pilots available......Ben

The rollout tomorrow will be an invitation only event...I'll look forward to see which sources will be reporting......Ben

Had to look up Aircraft Elephant Walk to know what was going on. Useful and interesting info. The event should be extraordinary to see.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

side note

My friend Gil flew both B52s and B2s (his Bio http://www.yellowhatgroup.com/Gil_Petrina_Resume.pdf) he said that the B2 was fly by wire only and had flight computers that one and sometimes 2 of 3 would crash and need to be rebooted. as he put it they would thing they were a toaster and ask would you like to make toast he would frantically be rebooting while the co pilot had one hand o the ejector as if all 3 went down the plane would start flipping and the g force after 3 seconds would prevent you from reaching for the ejector.

on the B52 They did a defcon 4 simulation out of Minot. That's a flight of 10 B52s taking off at minimum separation and climbing at maximum in formation as they were doing so he popped onto civilian ATC to have them clear the airspace for the formation. Right after that a pilot on an American Airlines Jumbo came on and identified himself as a retired Airforce Major. Gil said his direct words were Buffalo Leader this is retired Major XX is this flight something I should seriously be concerned about? there was dead silence on the channel until Gil said Negative , simulation followed by American thank you thats a relief have a good flight then chatter broke out from over a dozen aircraft and atc. all saying Oh thank god
    "The only thing that we learn from torture is the depths of our own moral depravity"

Back in SAC days , we used to launch a 15 -20 mix of tanker and buffs with a 15 sec interval. After about 5 , there was so much black smoke from the water injection you could not see the A/C in front of you and were taking off into the unknown. Combine that with the turbulence and it sometimes got a bit exciting .
    Individual rights are protected only as long as they don't conflict with the desires of the state .

Strangely (maybe) my SIL, who spent his entire career flying B-52's has never said anything about the B-2 or the B-21----I will have to ask to see if he will open up.

I'm sure you gave him a few drinks IV---they were at Barksdale for a pretty long time----after being at Minot for a couple of years.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Questionable. I retired in 89.. When was he active ?

16 miles west of the White House, Northern Virginia..
    In the late 90s I ferried a P3-B to the Bone Yard at Davis Mothan .. was given a tour and was able to crawl into a B52 that was scheduled for destruction (wings cut off for arms limitation treaty).. B52 was surprisingly small and cramped inside.

Quote Originally Posted by Independent Voter View Post
    Questionable. I retired in 89.. When was he active ?
    I'm guessing---I can't ask, he is on his way to Israel. He retired about 10 years ago with 26 years of service so about 1986. It is possible you were already retired if I have those years correct because they were in Texas and then Minot for a couple of years before going to Barksdale.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
    B52 was surprisingly small and cramped inside.
    My SIL is given to, on occasion, reflect on the difference between the B-52 and his current ride, a Boeing 787-9 Dreamliner---there seems to be no nostalgic thoughts of going back

They even have a "bedroom" on board and on long hauls they have two flight crews.

I had the opportunity to visit the Bone Yard at Davis Mothan. It was January and the temps were right around 70 degrees F. It was the first time I saw a SR-71 in person.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead