Thread: What it takes to save BB35...

What it takes to save BB35...

This video was from two days ago......Ben

The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

Cool.

"Texas was also a technological testbed: the first US battleship to mount anti-aircraft guns, the first US warship to control gunfire with directors and range-keepers, the first US battleship to launch an aircraft, and one of the first US Navy warships to receive production radar."
    - Wikipedia

It's fitting she's being rehabbed in Galveston.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

Quote Originally Posted by UTAH View Post
    It's fitting she's being rehabbed in Galveston.

Hunter
    Yes, the initial plan was to tow it to Alabama for the work...I'm not even sure it could have made a trip like that afloat......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

Wow....dem some bad bones
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

16 miles west of the White House, Northern Virginia..
    As you drive I-95 through Philadelphia one passes the USS Olympia.. (I believe) the last surviving ship of “The Great White Fleet”.. they were worried about the same issues as Texas and the discovered that the ship is sitting on the bottom and not floating..

Quote Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
    As you drive I-95 through Philadelphia one passes the USS Olympia.. (I believe) the last surviving ship of “The Great White Fleet”.. they were worried about the same issues as Texas and the discovered that the ship is sitting on the bottom and not floating..
    Olympia (C-6) has a long, storied history, Joe, but I don't believe it participated with either squadron of The Great White Fleet...
    As tensions increased and war with Spain became more probable, Olympia remained at Hong Kong and was prepared for action. When war was declared on 25 April 1898, Dewey moved his ships to Mirs Bay, China. Two days later, the Navy Department ordered the squadron to Manila in the Philippines, where a significant Spanish naval force protected the harbor. Dewey was ordered to sink or capture the Spanish warships, opening the way for a subsequent conquest by U.S. forces.
    It is however the oldest surviving steel US warship......Ben

16 miles west of the White House, Northern Virginia..
    Oops.. my bad..

But.. in my defense.. it looks like it could have been..

Olympia is on a busy section of urban interstate.. only three reasons to be there.. one is actually going to Philadelphia (near famous cheese steak shops) or one is stopping at the “beer distributor” under the Walt Whitman bridge (a Pennsylvania Beer Distributor is something to see, PA liquor laws have hard liquor in state stores and beer by six pack in bars and by case in distributor (laws are changing allowing beer in food stores), a good beer distributor is a huge warehouse filled with pallets of beer and soda and chips and illuminated by a kizillion beer signs, quite the PA experience.. I quit drinking but still stop at a huge beer distributor in Hanover when there) or third avoiding the Delaware River bridge toll (I-95 just above Trenton is the only free river crossing)..

Pardon the rambling, just a little local trivia..