Thread: The leaves...

The leaves...

They're finally changing color here...Even falling into the yard...I'm glad I have a yard crew who works cheap......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

We seem to be having a lot more color than normal this year. Instead of the normal green to brown to ground, we have green to multi-colors to ground. I wonder why? Maybe the drought played a role? It's a nice change whatever the cause.

Around the house, my Z-turn mulching mower makes them disappear. They just grind up into nothing but a powder that dissipates into the grass. Everywhere else, Mother Nature steps up and handles them.
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

It is full on winter look here----I can see all the way to town from my kitchen window in the winter. That is about 3 miles SSW on the next ridge from me. I have a treed fence line about 300 yards from the house that blocks any view beyond it in the summer.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

We still have some color but it is well past Peak
    OPINION....a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

We are past peak, but only by a couple of days. Not brilliant color, but a lot better than most years. Here is what it looks like from my side/back porch.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Leaves.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	110.8 KB 
ID:	39280

And, even better, it is a perfectly wonderful 81°!
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

Nice

I feel sorry, in a way, for people in the Rockys. They have either aspen or evergreens and while that Aspen are very showy---it' all they have
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	140.0 KB 
ID:	39281
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Grubb View Post
    Nice

I feel sorry, in a way, for people in the Rockys. They have either aspen or evergreens and while that Aspen are very showy---it' all they have
    I've never felt sorry for them except for the nine months of Winter, 1 month of Spring, 1 month of Summer and 1 month of Fall. All that damn snow!

Well, they have Pando:

When the Pando clone was discovered, scientists named it with a Latin word that means “I spread.” Pando is an aspen clone that originated from a single seed and spreads by sending up new shoots from the expanding root system.

Pando is believed to be the largest, most dense organism ever found at nearly 13 million pounds. The clone spreads over 106 acres, consisting of over 40,000 individual trees. The exact age of the clone and its root system is difficult to calculate, but it is estimated to have started at the end of the last ice age. Some of the trees are over 130 years old. It was first recognized by researchers in the 1970s and more recently proven by geneticists. Its massive size, weight, and prehistoric age have caused worldwide fame.
    https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/fishl...TELPRDB5393641

And regarding snow, in my region we say we have nine months of winter and three months of damned poor sledding...

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
    Well, they have Pando....
    That's interesting. For some reason, I was under the impression that it was much, much, larger than that.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
    And regarding snow, in my region we say we have nine months of winter and three months of damned poor sledding...
    Sledding here is done on water by noisy, stinky things resembling snowmobiles. I think they should be fair game to be taken by any means with no bag limit when they come within 100 yards of fishing activities, either on land or water.

You may be thinking of the humongous fungus:

https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...ism-is-fungus/