Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: This is hard to imagine

As an aside, I'm really glad to be able to discuss this with both you and Mike in a calm manner. I wish our politicians could take a lesson. But I suspect that it first would require that they respect both the people that disagree with them and recognize that an opposing position on an issue is still a legitimate and honorable position. Glad we have that here.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Everything I remember reading about Ellis Island was that it was a perfect hell-hole for the immigrants. I don't want to subject them to that, many have suffered far too much indignity before even getting there.
    It depends on your perspective. It was not fun but compared to where they were coming from? Piece of cake.

Somehow Ellis Island managed to acquire an undeserved reputation. Most immigrants only were on the island for a few hours, unless they were ill, in which case they went to the hospital on the island.

This will offer more information.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

The information about Elis Island is appreciated. I've not been on it, but I have sailed by it a few times. It really is something to see in the morning light, with the Statue of Liberty nearby.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

Interesting read. Thanks, Dave!
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

You're welcome ��
    The main reception hall has been fully restored and is a very handsome building.
    The last time I was there they had not done much on the hospital.
    There is a huge searchable data base there. My wife's family came through there and we found all their records.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis