Thread: This year's tree

This year's tree

For many years we have bought our Christmas tree from one of the local boy scout troops. They always have fresh and beautiful Frazier furs from North Carolina. We didn't break the tradition this year, but it broke the bank.........$160.00
    OPINION....a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

It's the aroma of a real tree that I like.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

Once you have seen a house turned to charcoal at Christmas from a dry tree, a fake one is all that you will put in your own home. Been there done that
    "The only thing that we learn from torture is the depths of our own moral depravity"

With no family anymore, I have no tree, no cards, no lights...What's the point?......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

That makes two of us, Ben.
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

We use a fake one at the store. We're there almost every day so why not put it there.
    Fred

"Everyday I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've
    stayed alive."

'Take care of yourself, and each other.'

Quote Originally Posted by Truckman View Post
    With no family anymore, I have no tree, no cards, no lights...What's the point?......Ben
    Because it can lift your spirits.

Reminder of better times in the past, perhaps, but the winter is dark and cold. It is cheery to put up a tree with some lights. Surely there was some point in your life when things were good - this can be a reminder.

Thanks, Kev...It was my other self speaking out of turn as usual......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

Personally, I don't want reminders of Christmas past. It will just remind me of how much I've lost. I'm trying to forget a little in order to move on to whatever life may bring me next.
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

I understand your sentiments. I don't like to look back either.
    OPINION....a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

I can only wish for everyone who is in pain that they find peace. Someday, the pain might lift. I can only hope for that day to be soon for all suffering.

In my family, the Christmas season is one of anticipation. We count the days with an Advent calendar. We stay up late on Christmas Eve and eat special foods from our childhood that connect us to generations past. We remember those that have passed and look forward to being with them again some day. Often in years past, a group of men would parade through the neighborhood in my grandparents Ward, acting out religious themes, and we would go outside to see the show. We go to Mass. At midnight, we shake hands with each other and say "He is born". The next morning, everything looks bright and happy, full of promise for the new year to come and we visit and talk. Neighbors will drop by and the booze flows and the kolachki get punished very hard. Things always look hopeful to us on Christmas morning.

So we do the tree as part of all that. For me, it is an important tradition but definitely NOT the reason for the season.