Thread: Making an ecological statement for dinner!

Making an ecological statement for dinner!

Tonight I am making Blue Catfish, an invasive species in the Chesapeake Bay. It was sourced fresh at a local market for about $8 a pound. I've never had it and only heard of it when the market ran a special on it.

Interestingly, the chosen control method (by NOAA) is to create a market and turn them into a commercial fishery. So---I'm giving it a try, if it isn't as claimed I can at least take comfort in the fact that I tried to help the environment and crabs (they eat crabs)
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

I hope you like it. They are very common around here and can be purchased on the cheap. I found them to be delicious. But most of the catfish that's in restaurants around here is grain fed from local farms.
    OPINION....a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

Interesting----I thought they were only in the Chesapeake and it's tributaries.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Grubb View Post
    Interesting----I thought they were only in the Chesapeake and it's tributaries.
    Oh yeah we have them. And they get real big I mean like over 100 lb. The Alabama state records like 120 lb.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20221128_183614_Chrome.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	365.6 KB 
ID:	39273
    OPINION....a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

We have them in Texas, too. They are native in both fresh and salt water. I suspect yours must be invasive.
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

Now that is a big fish. Nothing like that around these parts.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

Change of plans last night so it is on the menu for tonight.

It is listed as invasive in the Chesapeake. I am offended by their eating shedder crabs-----that is stealing from my bucket

Well---dinner didn't last long----we ate our green beans

The cat fish has retired to the compost bag. That was not a taste that either of us found as pleasant. I don't care about the price ($6.99/lb)---there are far too many fish in the sea to have to do that again.