Thread: Tonight's dinner

Tonight's dinner

Wedge salad and chicken livers----I know, you don't like liver, but this just might change your mind.

Here is the recipe:

CHICKEN LIVERS WITH MADEIRA WINE
    Printed from COOKS.COM
    1 lb. chicken livers
    1 c. milk
    1/4 c. butter or cooking oil
    1 lg. onion, chopped
    1 c. AP flour
    1 tsp. salt
    1/4 tsp. black pepper
    1 c. chicken broth
    1 c. Madeira wine

Soak chicken livers in milk for at least 2 hours; drain. In a skillet melt butter and sauté onion. Mix flour with salt and pepper. Coat drained chicken livers; add livers to sauteed onion and stir fry for 5 minutes or until golden brown. Add broth and wine. Cover and simmer until livers are tender ¬¬for about 7 minutes.
    Serve over toast points.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

I love chicken livers with Louisiana hot sauce. And I also love wedge salads.
    OPINION....a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

I am not generally a big fan of liver---at least in a pure sense, but I do like this recipe

We ate cows liver and poultry livers (and hearts and gizzards) as a kid but I wasn't rushing to the table for the cows liver. I do like liver as an ingredient in pâté, scrapple, liver mush, and liverwurst.

In the days of our poverty, my wife made a lot of casseroles with variations of chicken livers and gizzards in rice and various condensed cream soups. Then she had variations of all with noodles. Our kids would not eat a casserole today if you paid them

Another casserole mainstay was tuna noodle casserole Recently we were returning from visiting a friend in the hospital and stopped at a restaurant for dinner. Sucked in by nostalgia my wife ordered tuna noodle casserole She was done in no time

I have to give her credit---she knew "her place" came after payroll and Cat payments. When the cupboard was very low she made her own noodles with only flour, salt and water. Eggs were beyond our means There was none of the fancy equipment Eric has. She mixed the dough by hand, rolled it out, folded it and then cut it into strips with a knife.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

I love fried chicken livers and gizzards but not too many places serve them. I used to buy them frequently for lunch at a fried chicken place when I was working and when I moved to East Texas I found a place that serves them but the oil they use messes up the flavor. I don't know if it is the type of oil or if they just don't clean/replace it frequently enough. I mostly have to cook them myself now.

Calf liver with onions and gravy is also a favorite I don't get unless I cook it myself. The problem is finding fresh calf liver. Sitting here, I realize that I haven't tried butcher shops, only grocery stores. On my next trip to town........
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

Well give this recipe a try---I think you will like it. BTW---it make it's own gravy

I am going to add garlic to the recipe.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    I love fried chicken livers and gizzards but not too many places serve them. I used to buy them frequently for lunch at a fried chicken place when I was working and when I moved to East Texas I found a place that serves them but the oil they use messes up the flavor. I don't know if it is the type of oil or if they just don't clean/replace it frequently enough. I mostly have to cook them myself now.

Calf liver with onions and gravy is also a favorite I don't get unless I cook it myself. The problem is finding fresh calf liver. Sitting here, I realize that I haven't tried butcher shops, only grocery stores. On my next trip to town........
    I'm with you on all that.
    OPINION....a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.